sarah_432

Help... I need some help with the layouts for an open plan extension

sarah_432
2 years ago

I have had some plans drawn up but still not quite right and I can’t find a solution that works. Due to previous extensions on the house by previous owners we have a few internal columns I don’t think we can get rid of (centre of kitchen island and playroom wall).

my worries are:

1) I don’t think there is enough useable kitchen worktop space with the current layout (it is less than our current kitchen which already feels like not enough).

my thoughts are I could swap the door into the kitchen from the hall to come off the utility (blue pen) and cover the current kitchen to hall door with L shape of kitchen worktops (yellow) and rotate the island. Although then might not be great walking through a narrow passage to a utility room to get to the kitchen.

2) we want to keep the opening between the lounge and kitchen as the lounge windows are south facing so we get a lot of light from their and also I worry we would use the lounge properly if it is cut off from the open plan flow. But the space between the lounge and playroom/kids play station room seems a bit wasted. Is it too much empty space?

going round in circles, any help appreciated. We intended to keep the utility as is but can take space off that if it helps with the flow or layout as it is probably oversized for a utility.

Comments (11)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.