webuser_709773621

"temporary" hallway flooring, before I lay the posh stuff?

Karen B
2 years ago

I have my eye on one of the new Amtico 'Victorian tiles look' hallway floors in the Decor range. Some examples here:

https://www.amtico.com/flooring/products/collections/amtico-signature/decor/

The big however is that I need to get my kitchen redone. The kitchen is through the hallway - there's no other access as I live in a terraced house. But I don't want to lay a pricy floor which is then going to be damaged by kitchen builders' workboots (however carefully I put protective covering over the Amtico when the time comes).

Does anyone have any ideas for cheaper 'temporary' hallway flooring I could lay for a year or so, then take up when the kitchen works start. (Obviously this is a bit wasteful, but I am just considering all the options at the moment). Thanks so much.

Comments (8)

• minnie101
    2 years ago

I don’t blame you. In our last house our hall floor never recovered properly even though it was covered (the bathroom was meant to be done before the wood floor!).

You can pick up sheet vinyl very cheaply or just consider a cheap rug/runner to cover the existing? Maybe an indoor/outdoor one which you could hopefully reuse?

• Avril
    2 years ago

The decor tiles are lovely but very expensive so understand your concern.
    Karndean also do similar.

I agree with Minnie a sheet vinyl would be relatively inexpensive if you need to cover existing floor.
    Just be careful how you fit it so that when you uplift, the subfloor doesn’t get left with the backing of the vinyl stuck to it. It’s not a big deal but it would then need to be scrapped and prepared as you want the floor as smooth as possible to receive the decor.

• Avril
    2 years ago

I meant scraped!

• arc3d
    2 years ago

We laid a wood effect vinyl tile in the hallway and downstairs wc as a temporary solution...

Problem is it looked great so it's just ended up staying!

• Sonia
    2 years ago

Personally I would get the kitchen done first, then do the floor afterwards. Waste of money otherwise.

• Karen B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone. Very helpful thoughts. This has given me some good ideas to go to the flooring shop with. Yes @Sonia you are of course right - in an ideal world the kitchen should really be done first. But for various reasons we can't proceed in that order, unfortunately. There are some other parts of the house - structural and decorative - which include the hallway, that need to be dealt with as more of a priority. So therefore the question is - what *can* we do to temporarily deal with the hallway flooring, using the next-best, most cost-effective and least wasteful option. Hence the thread, you see :)

• Jules Mc
    2 years ago

What is down now Karen? Could it be painted and then a big runner down?

• Karen B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Jules Mc On the hallway floor at the moment - some tatty 1990s pale blond plasticky laminate that the previous owner of the house left. It has to come up to do some electrics underneath and once up I do not think it will go back down (and anyway it's way past time for that laminate to be retired). Yes it would be an option to paint the boards, although once the laminate is up I would have a slightly treacherous 'lip' to trip over into the front room, where there is parquet. The other factor is that messy family members in muddy boots tromp through the hall. However, a runner on dark boards would look temporarily great. On the basis of this thread I am going to investigate both vinyl and runner.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.