webuser_882972037

Floor plans through... scared we're missing a trick!

Chelsea
2 years ago

We're planning a downstairs renovation and upstairs extension to our home. This is the first time we've ever attempted something like this and it's a huge financial commitment. We just got the architect first draft floor plan through - I have some small amends, but I'm scared we're missing a trick and there are changes we should be making to the layout/fixed furniture placement in the rooms to optimise the space and light. Our architects firm aren't very creative; they're very affordable and basically give you what you ask for and nothing more - I'm not sure how much they've thought about being intelligent with space and light! Does anyone have any suggested changes or can spot a potential flaw with the layout/use of space?

I already know we need to add wardrobe space to bedroom 1... I'm thinking about knocking through some of the wall into bedroom 2 to steal space for built-in wardrobes, but not sure of the best way to do it without compromising the second bedroom.

Comments (6)

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

Alternative

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

Alternative

• Chelsea
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! If our kids were grown up I would be all over this layout, but we’re trying to engineer it so we’ve got a big living/family room for them to play in, but which can be separated off so we don’t have to look at all their clutter when we’re having dinner in the evening haha. I’ve also got a thing about toilets in the utility room as mine is ALWAYS messy. But these are really good suggestions for someone who doesn’t lead quite as chaotic a life as me!

• Jen
    2 years ago

It’s hard to read the room dimensions on your plans, but it might be worth moving the door into bedroom one away from the corner and 70cm or so towards the back of the house. Then perhaps you could have a run of wardrobes on the wall adjacent to bedroom two without stealing any space from that room?

• PRO
    Nest Estimating Ltd
    2 years ago

Hi Chelsea, once you have decided on a layout, we can provide you with a budget cost estimate. The budget cost estimate provides a detailed breakdown of works and expenses as well as highlighting potential areas where you can save money. We also work closely with Architect firms. If this is something of interest please send the plans and photos to hello@nestestimating.co.uk and we can provide you with a quote

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.