adanac85

Help with a dark, north facing study

Kate W
2 years ago

I'm a university lecturer, so spend a lot of time in my study. Our house is a 1950s semi in the north of England, so the room generally doesn't get much light and what light it does get is pretty grey and dreary. The room feels really cold in the winter and summer because of the lack of light and not particularly calming or inspiring.

I painted the room Paint and Paper Library Stone 3, but find it really insipid and a bit 'blah'. The futon chair kinda clashes and I feel that nothing is tied together. I'm considering going down a 1950s route and painting the walls a light pink, which will off-set the yellow of the chair, but I'm worried that this would make the room all a bit busy. Colours I've been considering include:

Dulux Party surprise 5

Dulux Blush Pink

Dulux Heritage Pink Powder

F&B pink ground

LG Dorchester Pink

If anyone has done something similar, Id love to see how it worked out. I'd appreciat other suggestions - and happy to consider a different colour family as well.

Basically, I'm after a warm, bright, and calming space to think 'deep' thoughts about stuff. Any suggestions would be gratefully received! Here's some photos I've taken tonight around 6pm. The lights are on, and all are on the 'warm' spectrum.

Comments (17)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.