mizz_dune

What primer for F&B Hague Blue?

mizz dune
2 years ago

Hello

Could anyone advise on what primer I should use before painting my bedroom in Hague Blue estate emulsion? Do I need the F&B primer & undercoat for tinted walls or can I use any other primer? It would be good to save on cash where I can but I don’t want to compromise the look. We’ve finally decided on F&B paint and I want to make the most of it.

Thanks in advance

Comments (10)

• Sonia
    2 years ago

I’ve never used primer on walls, just on woodwork.

• mizz dune
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I know absolutely nothing about decorating! I had no idea you can skip primer on the walls

• Sonia
    2 years ago

I painted a navy wall over a pale duck egg, 2 coats of emulsion did the job. Mine was a Little Greene navy called Woad.

• mizz dune
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Looks great! Thanks

• mizz dune
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Just wondering also, would you recommend estate or Modern emulsion for the bedroom?

• User
    2 years ago

Why does F&B emulsion need a primer? I just use a white base coat if it's needed, especially over darker colours.

• PRO
    Haysey Design & Consultancy Ltd
    2 years ago

Definitely modern emulsion for the durability factor Mizz :) It's a little bit more scrubbable ( I think i just made that word up!) than the estate emulsion.

• PRO
    Haysey Design & Consultancy Ltd
    2 years ago

Hi Sarah,

I don't think it needs a primer if you're using the light colours or painting a light colour over a light wall in my personal opinion. -It's a preference, completely up to you.

If you're painting a dark colour over a light or recently plastered wall however, the dark tones primer is definitely is worth using in my experience :) Hope that's helpful.

• User
    2 years ago

Thanks Hayley, but I don't use F&B paint. I can't justify the cost over Dulux say. Not when I've got a whole house to decorate anyway.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.