natasha_white48

Replace fireplace with log burner and revamp surround/mantle

Natasha White
2 years ago

Looking for advice/ideas/cost! Just purchased a property and it has a working fireplace in the living room. We want to replace it with a log burner and replace the surround/mantle with something cleaner and more in line with our aesthetic.

Any advice on what this might cost? / the best way to approach the project? Attached picture of the fireplace itself and some inspiration pics for reference!

Thanks

Comments (12)

• carocat24
    2 years ago

Is that marble fireplace original to the house? looks like it probably is.

• Natasha White
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think so! I can’t say for sure! (I’m torn between whether I like it as a feature or want to rip it out!)

• minnie101
    2 years ago

Costs for burner and installation on the link. I paid £1200 for a similar mantle to the first pic and then 320 for the slate hearth so it’s not a cheap job.

I must admit I’d be very reluctant to rip out the original... the room looks lovely

https://www.simonturnergas.co.uk/latest-projects/wood-burning-stove-projects/converting-open-fire-to-a-wood-burning-stove-in-exeter/

• Sonia
    2 years ago

That looks an original fireplace to me. People would snap your hand off for that! I would leave it be.

• smac232
    2 years ago

Sorry to be blunt but no way should you take out something original and unique and replace it with something generic like a log burner. It looks beautiful as it is.

• kazzh
    2 years ago

Here's food for thought......Everyone, or just about everyone, is doing white fireplaces and log burners. Not everyone has a gorgeous, and likely original, fireplace. So would you rather have a room that looks like everyone else's or a room that is individual?

If it is the simplicity of your inspiration rooms that is appealing..... then simplify the room around the fireplace. Edit the items in the room to reduce contrast, you might then find that with a simplified room is more to your desired look.

• minnie101
    2 years ago

It’s quite unusual. I‘ve got what I think is a Victorian marbleised slate surround in black and gold (well I think it‘s slate, if it’s marble it would be worth an awful lot 😂). The colour of yours is quite unusual though from what I’ve seen anyway 😊

• Jen
    2 years ago

Off topic, but I wanted to add that your sash windows look unusual (are they curved?) and very beautiful too. It seems that you have just acquired a stunning house!

• Natasha White
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I thought the colour of it was unusual (and i like quite a minimalist look) but I’m going to try and work around it!

The sash windows are curved! - they’re actually like a half-bay window (they don’t protrude out but have a small curve)! That’s so kind of you to say - I wasn’t sure at first but I’ve grown to love them!

• PRO
    Croydon Fireplaces
    2 years ago

Hi Natasha,

We have loads of ideas have a look at our website for some 5KW stove ideas and some ball park figures, we have lots of different surrounds too to suit all budgets and tastes and some second hand ones. 5KW Woodburning Stove Inspiration

• Sharon Vella
    2 years ago

I love minimalist, but I would work around that lovely fireplace, make it yours!
    Work your room around it...

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.