webuser_64915370

Dark landing- shall I add borrowed light from the bathroom?

HU-64915370
2 years ago

I have a dark landing at the very top of the stairs. I use it as a very small office but want to bring some daylight into it. one of the walls backs onto a bright bathroom. What are your thoughts about knocking through to bring borrowed light into the landing. Privacy in the bathroom should be ok as it could be high up or frosted glass.

Comments (5)

• Ricky Watkins
    2 years ago

What about a light tunnel from the roof through the loft into the ceiling?

• HU-64915370
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Ricky. I was thinking of that too but thought it might be a lot more expensive.

• Daisy England
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Years ago many houses were built with borrowed lights over the top of all the doors on the landing. It’s possible to do it.

HU-64915370 thanked Daisy England
  • arc3d
    2 years ago

A cheaper and quicker option may be to replace the door with a frosted glazed one.

HU-64915370 thanked arc3d
  • Esther S
    2 years ago

We have 2 doors with borrowed lights above them and it transformed a dark hallway into a brighter one. Only thing to consider is fire regs - if in doubt install fire glass. Also whether light coming in through the borrowed light in the summer months would cause any disturbance at 4am!

HU-64915370 thanked Esther S
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.