hannah_smith8313

Moving boundary fence - advice needed!

Hannah Smith
2 years ago

Hello, looking to get some advice/guidance on a boundary fence repair...

The boundary fence in our garden needs to be replaced - more an eyesore than dangerous. It falls under the responsibility of the private landlord next door, and they’ve begrudgingly agreed to do the work. They’d previously done a shoddy patch fix, which involved sinking two concrete posts on their side on the fence to keep it propped up.

An employee of the company came out to measure up for the new fence today, and said that as the concrete posts will be too hard to move, they will need to move the new fence 4” into our garden in order to sink new fence posts.

Whilst 4” doesn’t sound like a lot in the grand scheme of things I’m concerned that this could end up being more - there’s no real incentive for them to ‘make me happy’ and I’m not the customer in this scenario.

The bloke was very clear that this isn’t a priority for the company, there’s no return in investment etc etc and seemed to intimate that I would need to make my decision quickly if I’m to get it done.

Found his manner pretty abrasive and patronising - so the thought of having him on site doing the work isn’t a great prospect - and not sure whether he’s got the authority to make the decision about what to do when he’s not the company owner.

Have some Googling to see if there’s any hard and fast rules on moving boundaries / rights and can’t find anything conclusive.

Now thinking that we should just whack some willow screening up and move on with our lives 😂

Would really appreciate any advice!

Comments (6)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.