webuser_93340290

How to choose paint colours? What neutral to match dark ivy?

Bec Reid
3 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Tread gently because I am rather clueless when it comes to decorating - I generally just choose what I like with no thought to whether it goes!The dining room is East-facing, high ceilings, picture rail with a large (tall) wooden fire surround with mirror (1930s?). So it is bright in the mornings, and as the window is a large square bay it has decent light even in the afternoons. In my head, the fire surround will be painted white/off-white cream and the fireplace wall and alcoves will be a dark green. I have painted a patch of Dark Ivy from Wilko on the wall but can't decide if it is warm or cool. Is it warm? So do I then need a warm neural for the other walls?In my head the finished room with have off-white/white fire surround, dark green fireplace wall, brown pleather sofa in window, acacia wood dining table, dark chairs, lots of brass accents, plants etc.Oh, and we have plantation shutters in 'Pearl White' ordered. But how do I choose the corresponding whites, skirting board/picture rail, remaining 3 walls?! We aren't averse to a bit of colour so have generally painted all our rooms in a colour we just take a fancy to... this is the first room where I seem to have a 'vision'! We've never done pale before so I'm a bit scared that a. it will look cold and b. it will get filthy (2 kids, 1 dog, some chickens).Can anyone help? New to the forum but will attempt to add photographs too.

Comments (11)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.