lorraine_knight61

Silicone around fitted upvc windows

Lorraine Knight
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have just had some UPVC flush casement windows fitted and the fitters put expanding foam around the windows but did not put silicone around the window. Should they put silicone around the windows?

Their response was they will silicone around the bottom half of the house as this is brick but not around the top of the house as it is being rendered. Is this right?

Comments (5)

• arc3d
    2 years ago

Do you mean they will silicone after they have rendered? If so, yes that would be the correct way to do it.

Lorraine Knight thanked arc3d
  • Lorraine Knight
    Original Author
    2 years ago

They are saying that they will not silicone at all where the house is being rendered.

• arc3d
    2 years ago

Have they said why?

Silicone is important to prevent water ingress. So they must have a good reason. Maybe they are using a different technique to seal the join? Rendering (sand and cement render) alone will not create a good enough seal. The render and uPVC expand and contract at different rates so must have a flexible seal.

Would be interesting to know what reason they give for not sealing the join.

• Lorraine Knight
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks I have mentioned water ingress and they have agreed to come back tomorrow and silicone all windows. Thanks for your help.

• arc3d
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Great outcome!

Still strange why they thought it didn't need doing.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.