webuser_171544924

door stripping - patches. to wax or oil?!

Louise Carter
3 years ago

Hi there we decided to try out stripping some doors in our 1930s renovation project. They have come up really well - see before and after - but does anyone know

• how to get rid of the patches?
  • would wax or oil help?
  • what’s the difference between wax or oil?

Complete novice here! Struggling to find answers on the internet. Thank you!

Comments (7)

• Sonia
    3 years ago

I had a 1930s door dipped and I also have those oily marks. I actually used Matt varnish because it was the door leading from the hall so gets a lot of knocks. Wax is best for pieces of furniture and oil is usually used on wooden worktops.

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Here’s my door with oily marks.

• Louise Carter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This still looks great thanks for sharing! We’ve decided to get one waxed and one oiled and decide which we prefer for the rest!

• Wumi
    3 years ago

Bear in mind wax and oil finishes will need to be more frequently reapplied than say a varnish finish. The advantage being you can retouch areas or the whole door without having to strip back.

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Oil or wax just aren’t tough enough I feel.

• Sarah U-S
    3 years ago

There’s a fab brand of products for wood called Osmo. They do an oil called “Door-Oil”, for internal doors! I’ve not used it myself - however I have used other items from their range, and all have been absolutely brilliant.

• Louise Carter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.