esther_lyons36

Buying a house that's been underpinned

Emma
3 years ago

hello! We are currently in the process of buying a house and the environmental search has come back with several issues.
The house looks onto a football field and park, which transpores was once the site of a chalk mine, then a landfill in the late 1800s. This means the area has a serious subsidence risk as well as potential contaminated land. We have been told the green land itself can never be built on for this reason.
We have subsequesntly discovered the house was in fact underpinned in 2007. We had llanned on extending the property but are now very nervous about buying the house and how this would affect re-sale value and insurance costs. It is quite dated so we had planned to do-it-up, adding value and sell in 5-10 years. But now I'm not sure we can add value 🙁
I wondered what other people would do in situation? Would you pull out now? Would you ask for more money off, especially as they were not forthcoming with info about the underpinning

Comments (7)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.