rachael_king90

Create private front garden in Victorian semi (currently open)

Rachael King
2 years ago

We are buying a Victorian Semi which currently has a shared opening and path for both houses and we want to create ours into a private front garden - so split the path, put up Victorian style railings and possibly a tiled path. Can email pic if anyone has any ideas...

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Kingfisher Designs
    2 years ago

I can take a quick look as I do a lot of exteriors, just contact me through houzz please.

• Rachael King
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• rinked
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Speak to your new neighbours first, from what I can see is their path will need to be widened as well. My advice is to live with it to begin with, as it might not bother you after a while. New homes make our brains want to explode with ideas of what could be. Not all of these ideas remain when settled in.

• PRO
    Kingfisher Designs
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would tend to agree, you'll need to do it with you neighbours agreement, there is also an issue that it might not be for you to just devide the pathway if there is a coveneant to share it for access. As an alternative you could grow a hedge along the path on your side to screen it from the path? It could then be used to create a garden room, You could still redo the path with tiles.

• E D
    2 years ago

Handsome semi(s). 👌

Agree with rinked, live with it first.

I can see some improvements though, F.i. the garden walls could be more sympathetic to the house’s period style. But it would probably be best to liaise with your neighbour to come to the best and amicable result.

• PRO
    Kingfisher Designs
    2 years ago

That would work, I'd just caution that the drive already looks a bit dissconected from the garden and putting a gate up might make it more so, you could try to incorporate the drive into the garden design as a whole.

• Rachael King
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Could a railing be placed to the left side of the path, and then how could we grow a hedge quickly just inside the railing?

• keiblem
    2 years ago

Definitely speak to your neighbours first. If they are amenable to any changes then you may have the opportunity to share the costs. It would also be better if you can agree to be in harmony with your changes. It is a striking house that needs to be treated sensitively. For example the image Kingfisher Designs uploaded of railings on one half throws everything off balance. If one house opts for railings then it would be better for both or not at all. Likewise for a hedge bordering the path. It would look better if there was a hedge on both sides. Though in truth I wouldn’t put a hedge there unless it was a very low box hedge. Better still spaced out larger box clipped into balls along both edges of the path up to the front door. They would mark the boundaries without making you feel boxed in, pardon the pun! A Victorian tiled path would set them of handsomely. A big investment but for this house worth considering.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.