webuser_816859888

Bedroom/Office ideas

Needhelp
3 years ago

Hi all

Me again, I’m planning in advance for changes I would like to make to my sons bedroom (19). He is away at university and I have set myself up to work from home in the room. Please suggest changes to furniture placement etc to improve the room layout.

Many items have been dumped and will be removed (tv, white drawer unit etc.).

I was thinking of moving the mirrored wardrobe over to where the bed currently sits and putting the desk next to it. The bed could then sit in front of the window and have a couple of bedside drawers next to it. What do you think?

I’m also looking to remove the comic feature wall but I’m struggling with colours as the room is north facing and gets very little sun. The wood and skirting will be painted white so only the door will be oak.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• christineacy
    3 years ago

Hello Needhelp.

MMm some ideas. The window area is perfect for an office space, as sleep time is when the room is dark. And it all depends on your budget.

You could treat it almost like a studio space. Taking things off the floor to give more floor space.

Bedroom area:

1. I see a TV. Put that on a angle bracket near the end of the bed or on the wall opposite the bed.

2. The exercise equipment could be wall mounted, so the a chest of draws can go there and possibly the TV on top. (Although it does look like a big TV.)

3. Leave the bed where it is and move the wardrobe next to the radiator. So that square of space is the bedroom space. Add wall shelving for your sons belongings.

4. Change the bed for a under-bed storage bed. They are more modern then they used to be.

Add wall shelving for your sons belongings.

5. A wall mounted angle-poise lamp placed at the head of the bed/ corner of wall.

6. A radiator cover so that could be a shelf space.

7. Any toys, keepsakes can go on high shelf so they become a display. Not an "Oh why are you keeping that?" space ;)

8. Add a column of shelving ,as a small divider where the wall comes out at the end of the bed. Again for storage, putting the TV on etc.

Office area. Something like these with added shelving / storage. So that it can integrated. Any draws can be as high or low as you like. Change the curtain to blind(s), fire rated, to help with glare and privacy.

I hope this helps. Have Fun :)

s

Urban Rooftop · More Info

Eclectic Bedroom · More Info

• kazzh
    3 years ago

I was hoping the bed could be places with the bedhead at the comic wall, but that doesn't look possible. If it fit, then I was going to suggest the wardrobe going next to the door to reflect light back into the room and leaving the desk at the window end. But it might not be possible......So finding myself agreeing with your thought of moving it down the room.

• cannonja
    3 years ago

A Murphy bed would suit your needs, can fold up leaving plenty of space for your office and fold down when your son comes home
    Don't change the room too much as it may feel that you are kicking him out 😄 😆

• Needhelp
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The TV is very big and it will be removed from the room as it’s not in use (my son will bring his TV back when he returns from uni).

I like the idea of moving the wardrobe down to near the radiator, but I’m not sure what I would do with all of the space by the computer.

It would have been great to face the bed headboard against the comic wall but the bed is too long.

I don’t want to replace the bed as we haven’t had it for that long.

I’m also not too keen on radiator covers, especially after we spent do much on the column radiators.

I like the idea of the wall mounted lamp above the bed.

I realise I have rejected most of the suggestions 😳. My issue isn’t lack of space as the room is huge, it’s more about placing the furniture better so it looks nicer, making it a nicer room.

Any ideas for colours for the room? It’s always so cold in it as it is north facing.

@cannonja good point lol.

• christineacy
    3 years ago

Morning, Needhelp.

Sounds like maybe you need to take the wallpaper off first, so you have a blank canvas. And can see the room without thinking it is a young boys room. What colour is the carpet? As said you do not want to completely over do so it does not feel you are kicking him out. Sooo....

You have pinned it down a bit more.

1. The room is north facing so feels looks cold. So add colour?

2. You want an office space, it is big enough for this. What sort of work is it office type work or more practical type work ? If more practical you need storage to hide / store these away when your son is home. And papers, files away.

3. Want to move furniture around to make it more pleasing.

4. It is you sons room so want it to still feel like it.

If it is a large room you can add a manboy chair, mmmm a games chair I think it is called????

He can have a lounging area to watch TV etc.. on that wall. That would divide the room from sleeping to lounge to office space. But it needs to all blend in, flow.

Rather than get to small set of draws

Some questions?

What is the size of the room? One of the houzzers out there could do a plan to see what could fit.

Does you son have lots of processions?

Maybe ask you son what colour(s) he would like ?

What style does he like ?

What are his interests so that you can get some artwork/posters in frames etc

As it is north facing, as the carpet is dark the room may need an injection of a punchy colour depending on above questions ?

Are you able to change the light? A bigger light, with dimmer perhaps, the light ranging from a daylight cool?

I hope these questions will help a bit more... :)

• pjdklm
    3 years ago

I actually like your thoughts of putting the bed across the window, the wardrobe where the bed currently is, and your desk next to it. I think it will make the room much more comfortable to work in, which is now the main everyday purpose of the room. For one, you won’t have a bed in the background of your work zoom calls, nor will you have issues with shifting sunlight (I can see you have a ring light attached to your monitor anyway.). For two, I expect it will feel more spacious for working, as you will have more space to each side of the desk, rather than being cramped in a corner. And for three, you could then consider if you would prefer a different desk.

In terms of decor, you could consider painting the room 2 different colours, changing where the wall steps in. This would denote the sleep area versus the work area. (You could make the sleep area very much your son’s space, perhaps even doing the walls with the comic book paper.). For the work area, paint it in something that makes you happy.. perhaps a pale tone of your favourite colour. For the opposite wall I would suggest some floating shelves, or perhaps a long narrow console table that goes over the radiator table. Decorate them as you would want in your dream office.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.