michael_ung100

Flat roof external material alternatives - which one to choose?

Michael Ung
3 years ago

I am building an orangery that will have a flat roof surrounding the central glass roof lantern.

My question is regarding the type of material to lay down on the external flat roof part. I am aware of EPDM, GRP, torch & felt, and zinc and sure there are other alternatives. But I also hear of so many pros and cons with each.

I would be grateful to hear from other flat roof building owners and experts of their experiences and recommendations, especially if the material has been laid down for a number of years. My priority is to consider first the best material and the £ cost will come second. My orangery will be south facing.

Thank you for any guidance.

Comments (2)

• Iain Gray
    3 years ago

I have a PVC covering on my flat roofs. I'm sorry I can't remember the exact name but I think it began with an F. They were felt but it had run its course (10 years or so). A few neighbours have had it for a few years and theirs look in as good condition as mine which is only a couple of months old.

Michael Ung thanked Iain Gray
  • Nathan B
    3 years ago

I would go with GRP. EDPM is quicker and cheaper to install but not necessarily the best thing. Sometimes you pay for the expertise and I think if your going for a flat roof, this is one of them! I know this is off topic but I had to change my coffee machine rubber seal after two years and that’s quite simple compared to my roof 😩. Sometimes in life you pay for what you get, I think this is one of those occasions

Michael Ung thanked Nathan B
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.