webuser_764950299

Wooden countertops - recipe for disaster?

HU-764950299
3 years ago

I have chosen a kitchen with oak countertops and a ceramic white sink and draining board. I intentionally didn't choose quartz countertops, because of the noise they make when you leave a cup or a plate down on them.

The only concern I have is that I've heard about the potential difficulty with keeping the wooden countertops oiled and sealed to repel water.

Does anyone have any experience of keeping a wooden kitchen countertop in good condition? Or is it a losing battle in a busy family kitchen?

Comments (2)

• jacol68
    2 years ago

I’ve had my oak counter tops 16 yrs and my kids have gone from toddlers to young adults in that time. I would have smashed every glass in the house with quartz, although I have it around the sink insert as wood would have been a disaster there. Keep the counter tops looking good with a light rub down with a cloth with oil every so often, especially if it looks as if it’s getting dry. We’ve rarely had scratches as it’s reasonably resilient, and only once did I have to gently rub a scratch out with fine sand paper. I use a small brush to clear up crumbs and that limits the number of times I’m wiping it down with a wet cloth throughout the day. Have plenty of mats at hand for hot cups and plates and clear up any spillages reasonably quickly - the oil will protect the surface to a degree but if a spill such as coffee or red wine is left it will eventually soak in and may be a problem to sand out. I was advised against a clear glaze painted on to the wood and I am glad now that I didn’t have it done. Hope this helps.

HU-764950299 thanked jacol68
  • HU-764950299
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@jacol68 Thanks so much for your reply. Our kitchen reno is a week away and I'm glad I've stuck with the oak option. I will look into having a more water-repellant surface in the area surrounding the sink though (perhaps tile similar to the splashback tile I've picked), as you clearly point out that this would be the biggest problem area. Thanks a million :)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.