celine_fenech

microcement / polished concrete for a patio

Celine Fenech
3 years ago

Hi all

I am looking for people who have done microcement/ polished concrete outside for a patio (see current rough concrete base in attached photos).

Why did you choose that product? Did you like the finish? How resistant and durable do you find it? Is it truly scratch and crack resistant? What brand did you use and would recommend? I don’t like the glossy finish the protecting layer gives, how can you achieve a Matt finish as you see indoors on microcement/polished concrete walls?

We have a drop of about 7 cm from our internal floor to the existing concrete slab on the patio, would you level it up (given the microcement is about 4mm we would need to add 6.5 cm of concrete layer) or leave it a bit lower?

I am hesitant between tiling and doing microcement, any views?

Porcelain paving
Microcement

Comments (8)

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Following with interest, curious to hear people's experiences too :-)

• Sonia
    3 years ago

I’ve got a porcelain patio. It’s non slip which is great but it does get grubby and quite difficult to clean despite what manufacturers say.

• Wumi
    3 years ago

I personally wouldn't raise the level of the outdoor patio without first consulting a pro about the ramifications of that (rain/standing rain water, drainage etc).

Have you considered painting the concrete? I've seen some cool diy painted stencilled concrete patios. Not sure of longevity, but I imagine it'd be easier to clean and touch-up than tile.

https://dawnnicole.co/diy-faux-brick-stenciled-concrete-patio/

• Celine Fenech
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Wumi for your comment - as you might not see very well on the pictures the existing concrete is very rough and was always intending for laying down something else on top.. the more I look at tiles the less I like them - but talking to microcement experts levelling up will create risks of cracking

• Wumi
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Ah I see! Better understand your dilemma. Have you considered a resin bound/bonded surface? It's used mostly commercially but I have seen it on front drives in domestic properties and it looked pretty fantastic.

• Celine Fenech
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Wumi - I am not sure our budget will stretch to that - I think I am going to try to achieve this look - large concrete looking porcelain tiles?

• Celine Fenech
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Tiles

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.