laura_dean31

Making false chimney breast hole bigger

Laura Dean
3 years ago

We have bought a cast iron fireplace to go here but the hole isn't big enough, it needs to be slightly taller, about 9cm. There is wood panelling in the hole at the moment. Is this something we could do easily by removing the wood and chipping away?

Comment (1)

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

If you are definitely going to make the hole bigger then it makes no difference if you make a mess.... so it’s worth uncovering the masonry are to see what’s underneath- hopefully it’s a lintel that is at least 9cm higher! You can put a new little in higher up but since making good the plaster job really needs a plasterer I would get someone to do the whole job.

Bare in mind that if you add a hearth the insert might get raised a few cm too.

Also check if the whole of the cast iron bit needs to be recessed or just part of it. If you dismantled most people’s fireplace you would find a hole with a hearth inside and in front. There would be a cast iron bit in front of the hole which would have a recessed fire basket that sits in the hole..... and then there would be a fire surround to disguise the outside of the insert.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.