webuser_636389795

New mini hallway and building regulations

Lawrence Meakins
2 years ago

Hi,

Was just working out some finer details of downstairs layout (many thanks for everyone's help on another thread) and was looking at minimum hallway widths which seems to be for a standard 762 door if head on 900mm and if side on 1200mm, all good so far on the downstairs but then suddenly though mmm what about what the architect has designed upstairs where a mini hallway has been added from where there used to be a door to dressing room through to bedroom but is now a space opening into two bedrooms. The doors on diagram are all standard 762 doors and the gap is 800mm - have I got a building regs issue lurking in the architects design or does the small size of the area mean not classed as a hallway - anyone with been in similar position or can shed some light ?

Here is current layout with existing entrance marked in blue :

And here is new layout with the new hall area marked in red.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Lawrence

Comments (6)

• Catherine
    2 years ago

Afraid I don’t know which Building Reg would be appropriate (maybe the Fire means of escape??) - but would suggest it might be quite tricky getting large or awkward shaped furniture through there!

• Sarah L
    2 years ago

For narrow areas Building Regulations require a corridor width to be a minimum of 900mm. At ‘pinch points’, for example where there is a radiator, this can be reduced to 750mm.

• Lawrence Meakins
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for comment, that is the part M regs was reading last night but now been reading some more think this covers disabled access so for upstairs wouldn't apply and I think (could be completely wrong on this part) for a renovation of an old property (ours 1950's) then as long as not making it worse then okay but I can't find this actually written anywhere official just on forums.

The furniture comment is bugging me though and will go in loft today and speak to structural engineer as taking out the little bit of wall outside airing cupboard and maybe shaving a diagonal bit off other wall as goes into new hall will make things much better.

• PRO
    9yards architecture
    2 years ago

You're along the right tracks with 'not making it worse'. Here in NI our Regs talk of 'no new or greater contravention'. Assuming you're in England, you'll find similar reference in your Regs at Reg 3(2). But good luck finding a Building Control inspector who knows this - they're largely under-trained and rely far too heavily on the Approved Documents. Be prepared for a fight - although if you've employed a proper designer rather than a cash -in-hand amateur they should be able to argue this for you. Good luck with your project 👍🏻

• Lawrence Meakins
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Many thanks, forgot to mention we are in Wales so hopefully similar, thanks everyone for taking time to reply.

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

I have friends with a similar arrangement and I don’t like how it makes the approach to their best bedroom feel.
    To me your plan feels very cramped and in my opinion having space in hallways is just as important as having space in rooms.

I think you could find a better solution by moving the stairs and taking out the chimney breast- this could also create obvious extension possibilities for years ahead. I’m aware this route means additional cost for changing the front entrance and moving the stairs but you would be building slightly less upstairs and also not reconfiguring the corner of the original house.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.