tinnyn

Tips, consideration - Downstairs shower room, WC and small sink design

Jas
2 years ago

Hi All!

I am looking for some guidance and tips about the layout and installation of a shower room, WC and sink. This is a 1930 semi-detached house.

We have a fairly decent sized room that needs to be made into something! It used to be the old kitchen before we made the kitchen extension. The room in question is around 2950mm by 205mm. The boiler is being moved as we speak!

2 options:

Option 1 - Split the room vertically

We have a cupboard under the stairs which we can use. I am thinking that cupboard could have the wc and create a shower along the wall opposite to the WC, with the sink in the middle.

The other half would be used as a corridor to go into the kitchen. Some of the walls will be knocked back so the door moves towards the other side.

- What is the recommend width of a corridor?

- Whats a small but decent size for a shower?

There will be room to house a washer/dryer stacker next to shower with partition wall.

Option 2 - Split the room horizontally.

Top half would be a utility unit and would face the kitchen. The bottom half would be a shower room, wc and sink and the door would face the front door. The only route to the kitchen is via the lounge/dining room.

I prefer Option 1 as I think it allows another way into the kitchen and makes the area by the front door a lot light as the light from the kitchen will come through.

I attach some photos and would really appreciate any tips, points that I haven't considered or photos for inspiration.

Many thanks in advance.

Jas

The cupboard underneath the stairs - 700mm x 700mm

The old kitchen room

Door into old kitchen - I am thinking of putting the sink and shower behind the door along that wall.

View with cupboard and room.

Further view from the extension to the room.

Dimensions of the room in question.

Comments (3)

• rinked
    2 years ago

A vertical split would allow for a toilet and sink only, with a huge BUT: The minimum width of 78cm plus wall thickness (10 in drawing) would narrow the entry even more. Can't even keep the door, as it simply wouldn't open. And with the 60cm wall in the top left, you'll have 80cm in front of the washing machine (assuming it could go at 60cm deep, which it often doesn't).

A horizontal split would allow for a reasonably sized shower room, plus a small utility area. Again the 60cm wall bit. So question would be: Could that bit of wall be cut open a bit more?

The cupboard is still cupboard, as 70cm is not wide enough for a toilet. Vacuum might like it there though. ;)

Jas thanked rinked
  • Jas
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much @rinked for taking the time and making those drawings!! That's given me greater insight. The '??' measurements is 430mm and '!!!' is the door and it is 670mm (the door frame on either end is 90mm).

With Option 1 (on the left hand side), could I knock some of the walls off to the blue line and widen the new wall by the toilet? By doing that, am I able fit a shower in that way?

• rinked
    2 years ago

Third option on the right. Very tight. Wash basin should be less that 30cm deep (drawn 25), as the shower room could be just 90cm wide. Removed bits of walls (is that even possible? loadbearing? adjoining rooms?) to create 82cm openings. If plumbing and floor strength allows, washing machine might go in the cupboard?

Personally I'd opt for the downstairs loo alone.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.