gareth_sumner

Safeguarding parquet tiles during a renovation?

Gareth Sumner
3 years ago

Hi,

We are about to commence a ground floor remodel of our 1960s terrace. We have original basket weave parquet tiles and we would like to keep this flooring when the project is complete - potentially adding matching tiles where required.

Can anyone provide any advice or recommended trades people to help us with this. There will be a lot of work going on in the room where the parquet currently is and it is not in perfect condition, but we'd love to keep it. We however don't know if this is at all feasible or who to speak to about it...?

Thanks!!

Comments (5)

• Daisy England
    3 years ago

I’m led to believe you can buy floor covering specifically for such projects. Failing that buy some MDF and cover the floor with that to protect it.

It’s lovely flooring so I understand you wanting to keep it.

Gareth Sumner thanked Daisy England
  • Gareth Sumner
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Daisy, I'll look it up.

For info, the plans below shows where we want to use the flooring compared to where it is now...

• Jen S
    3 years ago

Hi Gareth, I’m not sure where you’re based but I have a 60s flat in South London that has original parquet like yours (but was in terrible condition - lighter varnish in one room, missing tiles near sides, scratched etc). After I’d decorated I used Floorworks who did a brilliant job - the floor just looks fantastic now.
    https://www.floorworks.co.uk
    I would definitely trust them to help you if you’re near them.

• Gareth Sumner
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you - we are also in South London so I'll get in touch with Floor Works

• Jen S
    3 years ago

Oh great - they were brilliant! I’m selling the flat now but wish I’d done it years ago so I could have enjoyed it. Good luck 🙂

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.