kate_savitsky92

Bathroom lighting for SHAVING

Kate Savitsky
15 days ago

Hello, I am looking for help and advice. We are renovating and creating a new master en-suite. I am struggling big time to find a good solution for shaving. I mean for a man :-). Most mirror lighting that I see online is all about looking 'designer' and pretty but not actually about good lighting. Anyway, my husband is demanding we put a basin in front of the window so that he can have good daylight. This obviously means no large mirror over the basin, just two small shaving mirrors on arms either side of the basin vanity. I appreciate that would probably give him the light he needs but how can you have a bathroom without a large mirror. And the vanity and toilet will have to be swapped around which will mean that as you come in you'll hit the toilet first. All in all this scenario isn't acceptable to me. I've seen mirrors with integrated LED light (narrow strip around the mirror or two strips either side) but I doubt it will give enough actual light. Help please!! Men, how do you shave?

• Sarah L
    15 days ago

You could put a large mirror on the wall adjacent to the basin which would also help to reflect light from the window.

Kate Savitsky thanked Sarah L
  • Sonia
    15 days ago

I’ve got a battery operated mirror with lights round it which OH uses. I personally think the light is very poor but he’s happy with it, There are similar mirrors which are wired into the mains and have much brighter light, but it would entail chasing a cable into the wall to go into the back of the mirroring and I just didn’t want the expense and hassle! Once showrooms are open it may be worth having a look at them in “real life”.

Kate Savitsky thanked Sonia
  • Related Discussions

Need help ;colour of bathroom paint: no windows

Q

I would go with a very light spa kind of blue. Keep it crisp .. light .. pale blue/white .. nice white towels. Get new pics with white frames ...would go with your painted mirror as well.
    ...See More

Bathroom issue guidance needed please?

Q

Thank you for the recommendation minnie101. We currently have 5 bathroom chandeliers available at VictorianPlumbing.co.uk. Adding a chandelier to your bathroom design definately makes a statement in opulence and luxury!
    ...See More

Need help choosing wall lights for mirrored wall cabinet in bathroom

Q

Thank you, Stan, for your advice. I was contemplating putting a similar light like yours above the cabinet, but decided I prefer lights on either side, as there is a lot of space which I'd like to fill a little. I will also put them on top of tiles, so another point to consider. The ones I had chosen only protrude 90 mm from the wall, so I wonder if they should protrude at least the same as the cabinet, which is 150 mm, to illuminate the face, when putting on make up or in general. Here is a picture of the lights I really liked...and another one in a room situation ( not my bathroom), but they are next to a mirror with minimal depth. I like them a lot, but am open to other options, just wondered about projection.
    ...See More

Wall colour to match with gold hex tiles for bathroom

Q

Got the bath for free. Builder literally moved the wall frame to accommodate it. Concerned it looks ridiculous as its a tight squeeze so any ideas of what I can do to make this bath look ok in the room. I'm going to paint the tub a different colour. Don't say get rid of the bath cos it's not an option!!!
    ...See More
  • Kate Savitsky
    15 days ago

Thank you Sarah. However, my objective is to find a way to swap the toilet and the basin around so that the toilet would be next to the window and the basin to the right of it. It's good artificial lighting that I am struggling with, I mean struggling to find.

• Kate Savitsky
    15 days ago

Thank you, Sonia, this is exactly what I feel I'll have to do - to go and talk to someone in the shops and actually see how bright the LED lights built into the mirrors are. My husband has struggled for a long time, now that we are renovating he wants to find a perfect solution. Trouble is it has to be perfect for both of us :-).

• keiblem
    14 days ago

Wouldn’t it be better if, once the shops open, your husband looks for the perfect lighted mirror?

That apart it is my understanding that for effective lighting there needs to be a light either side of the mirror.

Moving the toilet and basin should be a doddle because the soil pipe is just outside the window. However,if the bath is staying where it is, will you have enough knee room between the loo and the end of the bath?

Kate Savitsky thanked keiblem
  • Kate Savitsky
    14 days ago

Thank you both Rinked and Keiblem. Rinked, I know it needs to be changed and that's exactly what I am trying to do. And it's not because of the soil pipe, it's the least of my worries. And thank you Keiblem for pointing out the leg room. However, this plan is already slightly out of date, the bath and the shower will be swapped around and the bath is actually smaller than shown on the plan, the draftsman used the standard size. So from this point of view everything is fine. It's back to finding the adequate lighting solution if the basin is not next to the window. Thank you all!

• rookie1986
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Hows the lighting in the bathroom? Could you upgrade the internal lighting or even install an additional one at the basin or use directional lights and aim them in that direction?

We have two large super bright LED ceiling lights that offer good lighting:-

That combined with a good LED mirror (all edges lit) should do the trick.

Kate Savitsky thanked rookie1986
  • Mary Ketchley
    13 days ago

Could you position a spotlight so that it shone onto the mirror and reflected light back onto his face? As the previous poster said, if you combine that with a side lit mirror you should have plenty of light. I’ve seen people put wall lights either side of a mirror too. Would that work?

Kate Savitsky thanked Mary Ketchley
  • Kate Savitsky
    13 days ago

Thank you Mary. Afraid the rules of geometry won't allow to position a spot light the way you are suggesting as 'theangle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection'. So for the light to reflect onto his face it can't come from a ceiling. Also, direct light is always better than reflected :-(. i suppose after listening to everybody and doing more research it's a mirror with really bright built in LED lights is the answer. Surprising that not many people haven't shared their shaving practices :-(...

• cannonja
    13 days ago

The angled bath isn't suitable for a room that size

Good luck getting to the wash hand basin

Don't think that would pass regulations

• Kate Savitsky
    13 days ago

This was harsh. The purpose of my post to ask for help, not criticism. I've criticised this layout myself enough, it wasn't my idea. Regulations are fine as it was drawn by an architect. Also, the bath is smaller than is shown on this plan, and the shower and bath are already swapped around, there's plenty of space.

• rinked
    13 days ago

You have no idea how many architects designs I had to change, as they were full of impossibilities..

• Kate Savitsky
    13 days ago

I think I do :-)

• cannonja
    13 days ago

Sorry Kate
    I find honesty is the best policy
    Its strictly to the point

Architect isn't giving you space within the zone to use it efficiently
    Even if it complies, its borderline and will feel cramped

For your own piece of mind, measure it out visually on the floor, and if your happy, proceed

Best wishes

Kate Savitsky thanked cannonja
  • Kate Savitsky
    13 days ago

thank you cannonja. My problem isn't the layout, I mean not the shower and the bath. I DON'T WANT the toilet and the basin where they are on this plan but my hubbie insists on having daylight for shaving. That's why I started the thread - to find out what lighting other people us (for a good shave, not struggling to see what they are doing) so that I can offer him this option. Once the basin and the toilet are swapped around (and the shower and the bath are already swapped) it would be a nice functional space. It's all in the bl***dy lighting!!!

• keiblem
    13 days ago

My partner shaves in the shower without a mirror but I am sure knowing that is not in the least bit helpful.

• Kate Savitsky
    13 days ago

Wow! I wish mine could do this, problem solved! :-)))

• rinked
    13 days ago

@keiblem so does mine. And then he steps to the mirror (with a regular light fixture right next to it) to do the edges and check if he missed any. Result: wet floor.

• Mary Ketchley
    13 days ago

Honestly, I think you can achieve the right angle with a spotlight. I mean obviously I don’t know how it might or might not work in your particular situation but it worked for me in my old place. How does your hubby manage when there is no daylight in winter 🤔?

Kate Savitsky thanked Mary Ketchley
  • minnie101
    13 days ago

I don’t really understand the daylight bit as that only works for part of the year. However I don’t see why a lit magnified mirror wouldn’t work. They often have these in hotel bathrooms and more often than not without a window. I can’t say I’ve shaved in them (!) but certainly good for makeup. Big mirror on the left and something like this to the side

https://www.lightingstyles.co.uk/finest-round-illuminated-vanity-mirror---fully-adjustable

Kate Savitsky thanked minnie101
  • Kate Savitsky
    13 days ago

The ensuite in house we moved into six years ago (and are renovating how) had a basin next to the window and there was a small extendable mirror fitted to one side of it on the wall. Even in the depth of winter when there's no sun it was still light. And now he wants the same set up. While I was prepared to live with it then I certainly don't want it in the newly renovated space.

• Kate Savitsky
    13 days ago

That's really strange, minnie101, you are the second person to mention different times of year. There's still daylight in the winter! It's just less sun. Yes, think I'll look into those small mirrors again, thank you.

• minnie101
    13 days ago

Well it very much depends on what time you get up for work I suppose? It was definitely pitch black when I commuted!

It might be worth looking for hotel ones, they don’t seem out of place in luxury bathrooms?

• Kate Savitsky
    13 days ago

We are happily retired minnie! :-)

• Sarah Woods
    4 days ago

Hi, The below company offer tailor made bathroom mirrors with integrated LED

https://www.rs-robertson.co.uk/product/38w-led-mirror-with-magnifying-mirror/

Kate Savitsky thanked Sarah Woods
  • Kate Savitsky
    4 days ago

Thank you so much Sarah. I'll definitely contact them. Have a feeling it might be prohibitively expensive though :( but will give it a try. Thanks again!

• Sarah U-S
    4 days ago

Hi Kate - we have two bathrooms and both have wired-in LED mirrors, and they’re great! The first one came from Bathstore years ago. We liked it so much that we bought a second one for our en-suite. The second one came from an online company called Pebble Grey, and we chose one with a small cupboard built in. It’s a godsend - it stores a surprisingly large amount of stuff that I seem to accumulate!!! I can’t remember the costs, but given that I’m as frugal as frugal can be, I think it wasn’t too bad!

Kate Savitsky thanked Sarah U-S
  • Sarah U-S
    4 days ago

I forgot to say - Pebble Grey do battery versions of the mirrors too at the same price.

Kate Savitsky thanked Sarah U-S
  • Kate Savitsky
    4 days ago

That's so useful Sarah, thank you. When I look at those mirrors with LED they never look like they'll give out the appropriate amount of light. It looks like it's all design led rather that functionality. That's why I wanted to know how other people provide light in their bathrooms to actually function as intended and not just to look pretty.

• Sarah U-S
    4 days ago

Both of ours give out LOTS of light - the kids often use the mirror in their bathroom as the main light - partly due to laziness- they wave past the sensor as they walk in!

Kate Savitsky thanked Sarah U-S