victoria_greene45

Is this concrete dry enough to lay flooring?

Victoria Greene
3 years ago

We had an underfloor heating system laid over a month ago, then the concrete and self levelling compound went down. There is only 2 inches of concrete, but we can still see a slight discolouration on it; some areas are light grey, others are slightly darker. It’s been over a month but temperatures have been colder and we are a basement flat. We don’t know what to do and are in desperate need of putting flooring down!

Comments (2)

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

There is no rule about how long concrete takes to dry out because it depends on how wet the mixture was to start and external factors too.

You have to measure its relative humidity and apparently it’s supposed to be less than 40% before you can lay a floor. A relative humidity meter shouldn’t cost a fortune to buy but your concrete supplier, floor supplier or surveyor might all have their own.

• PRO
    JCH Bespoke Surface Design
    3 years ago

We always make sure our floors are below 6% on a moisture metre. You can force dry the screeds after 7 days which speeds it up dramatically. Some boilers have setting for just this.
    Laying any floor over a damp substrate, will cause costly mistakes

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.