janebakerphysio

recommendation for chartered surveyor

J B
3 years ago

Hi. Could anyone recommend a very experienced chartered surveyor - experienced in dealing with license to alters between leaseholders and freeholders based in southwest London. Putney. I’m a ground floor flat doing a side return. I’m a leaseholder and also own share of freehold. Thank you!

Comments (2)

• Cathrine
    2 years ago

Hi! Have you found someone you could recommend? We're in a similar situation!

J B thanked Cathrine
  • J B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Catherine.

So....... happy to help/advice.

My situation-

I'm leaseholder of ground floor flat with share of freehold. Owner of 1st floor flat is leaseholder of his flat and share of freehold.

A license to alter is between the leasaeholder doing the work (me) and the freeholder (me and him) - so it's quite an unusual situation whihc noone seems to compeltely understand.

Theoretically it should be a simple but I made a few naive errors

It's also seperate from the party wall agreement. My upstairs neighbour declined the PWA and so instructed his own chartered surveyor. Andrew Cornick. I naively agreed that he could do the report for th license to alter which was a massive mistake as he was totally bias towards the upstairs neighbour.

So depends on your situaion.

But there should be a chartered surveyor who is working on behalf of the freeholders and writes a report that has certain terms and conditions for you as leaseholder doing the work.

The role of the chartered surveyor for the freeholders is:

" to report on the proposed application to alter in order that the Landlord(freeholder) could consider its obligation not to unreasonably withhold consent.If you have decent set of drawings/structural calculations as well as building regulations before you start you should be in good stead. it should not be an issue.

I used Alan Riley for my party wall agreement -I would recommend him.

BVP was upstairs party wall surveyor and joint freeholder surveyor who did the license to alter report ( would not recommend them) - this then gets submitted to the joint solicitor ( solicitor for freeholder) and is signed by both freeholder ( you and him) and you leaseholder

I sought advice from George PAtros and Sandra Rankine who were excellent public access barristers but this was because the freeholder chartered surveryor was extremely difficult and I needed help. You shouldnt need this

I also used http://www.congrevehorner.com/ Andrew Dewhurst to do a schedule of condition for adjacent neighbours who had agreed to the party wall agreement.

I also got advice from this guy who was extemely helpful - also a chartered surveyor....

Christopher Magowans from Magowans in TWickenham.

Hope that helps.

Jane

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.