william_hope56

Damp proof membrane on second storey floor?

Willy H
3 years ago

Hello everyone
My first post on here and the first time I am installing flooring!
We're wanting to install a some new flooring in our house. Both of them are on the second storey.
Being a complete newbie to all of this, I was wondering if/should we be installing a damp proof membrane over the existing floorboards, prior to laying the underlayment? Or is that just for ground floor rooms and concrete floors?
Just in case it changes anything, we've gone for laminate in one room and cork in the other.
Thanks Houzz people!

Comments (3)

• Catherine
    3 years ago

Hi William - the damp proof membrane on the ground floor is basically to stop the damp rising up from the ground underneath. I can’t see any reason why you would need it on any floor levels above this.

• Sarah L
    3 years ago

I concur. Only needed on ground floor.

• Willy H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Catherine and Sarah! That's been really helpful (and super quick too). Will save me some moolah as well, so even better 😁

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.