32seashells

how to create extra head room at the top of stairs?

32seashells
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello there :)

I'm looking for advice on how to create head space at the top of a flight of stairs in a dormer conversion. I'm only at the personal sketches stage and still need to find an architect but I'm trying to work out if my plan won't work simply because my loft space is currently only 198 cm high but needs to be 200 cm to get through building control (UK).

Depending on how much room is in the roof I guess that 2 cm could possibly be found, but of course there will need to be some sort of slope to the edge and the stairs would be at the end of that slope.

I'm wondering if I can create a small landing between the last steps at the top of the stairs? So the staircase would stop, then there would be a landing to the front of the stairs that would run the rest of the length of the room (about 3 m), but to the side another one - two steps would be added. Therefore the staircase would end with potentially about 218 cm of headspace, but ultimately there would be another step to get in to the remainder of the room. Or would the all the steps ascending into the main part of the dormer room be classed as the staircase?

Hopefully that all made some sort of sense! I appreciate this is a bit of a niche problem, but I'm finding it very difficult to find any information about this design dilemma and don't want to get too carried away with my plan if this won't work!

Comments (3)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.