midwalesparky

Dining room lighting dilemma

midwalesparky
3 years ago

How do I light over the dining table in our historic dining room? The distance between the spine beam (big one perpendicular to joists) and the table is only 45 inches. The ceiling height is only 83 inches anyway. The room is historic, mostly dating from 1741, but with oak post and panel partitioning from an earlier house. We have 3 wall lights and 3 or 4 table lamps, but nothing above the table, so though wonderfully atmospheric (with lots of candles and tea-lights) some find it too dark. My husband is 6 foot 2 and hates seeing a bare bulb. I've read that the idea height to hang a lamp(s) is 90cm above a person's head, but I reckon there are very few lights out there where he wouldn't see the bulb on that basis. Also, the room is historic, nothing modern will do, but we both hate fuddy-duddy, old-fashioned and fussy. Also, there's a budget - £200 to £250 max. Does anyone have any ideas because I'm really stumped, having looked at SO much on the internet that my eyes are popping out of their sockets!

Comments (17)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.