webuser_71660

painted damp wall and staining

Tani H-S
3 years ago

Hi all, I'm asking for my sister as she's not on here and I'm stumped. Lol.
They had a chimney leak and damp on a wall which has been repaired now. They left it for a few weeks with dehumidifier on after scraping the paint off to let it breathe.
Now they need to paint over it (even though it's not dried out completely but isn't dripping wet) and have tried a dulux damp and seal paint which is supposed to also be stain blocking.
2 coats and there are yellow stains coming through like crazy!
Personally I would have tried a zinnser oil based but its too late now. They tried another thing called blockade over it after (but on a patch which had had vinyl emulsion on already) which just bubbled the paint so that doesn't work and I've no idea what to suggest 😢
I believe the damp seal paint is water based so breathable to let the wall dry but it does say it blocks stains but quite clearly isn't. What can they put over this (it's a primer undercoat so can be overpainted).
They can't really scrape it all off and start again as doesn't come off easily and are short on time to get it finished
Any ideas?? Thanks.

Comment (1)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.