webuser_816859888

Living room ideas - Tan leather sofas

Needhelp
3 years ago

Hi I’m looking to revamp my living room. Attached is a rough sketch of the room and the current furniture placement. It’s north facing and gets no sun whatsoever, it’s always freezing in the room. We have tan leather sofas with a matching armchair (all reclining) and beige carpet. The fireplace is kind of dark silver/grey. At the moment we have cream wallpaper on the walls, but I’m thinking of taking the paper down and painting the room. The tv is placed in the corner close the tv Ariel. Do you think I should re-jig the furniture? What colour should I paint the room given the colours of the furniture? Thanks

Comments (31)

• Ellie
    3 years ago

Actual photos of the room would be better

• Needhelp
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am a little wary of putting up photos as I don’t want to get recognised 😳. I’m happy to pro more details though if it helps.

• Related Discussions

Any ideas for final touches to this living/dinning room?

Q

Comments (56)
    The trim in your rooms is outstanding. To "tie the rooms together", the one thing I would do is install chair rail the same color as the existing trim. The horizontal lines of chair rail will move the eye around the room and into the next room creating a flow. Chair rail is relatively inexpensive, easy to install and would be wonderful compliment to your existing beautiful trim.
    ...See More

What colour/kind of curtains to give colour pop to grey living room?

Q

Comments (8)
    Gorgeous sofas! Would you consider using the Thibaut print suggested by Judy G Designs in a soft fold Roman shade? You don't say how many windows there are in the room. But Straight edge on the bottom, outside mount, clean and simple. The print has enough activity.
    ...See More

Any ideas how to modernise this living room ?

Q

Comments (8)
    the place is due to be painted next month..would it be OK to paint all the walls white then add colour in just with accessories like rugs, plants, cushions, lamps etc or should I be painting in colours and doing feature walls etc...I've always liked a white and blue beachy type theme if this would work with this room ?
    ...See More

Looking for Ideas for Kitchen/Living Room

Q

Comments (12)
    Two ideas. Both times I would block up the entrance to the second half of the room to make more usuable space. Both ideas have a island with a dining table attached. Obviously these drawings are not to scale but everything should fit in. I would utilise the kitchen cuboards for utilities- intergrated appliances. If you can dont forget to use the space under your stairs as well. Also use the long wall at the bottom of the stairs for extra storage and alcoves.
    ...See More
  • Needhelp
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Provide*

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Needhelp, sharing photos of a room will not make anyone recognise you, just make sure personal photos are removed and ensure you are not reflected in any mirrors. It will just help us see the room and provide any help.

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Photos really help us. It's a bit hard to read your drawing, but I think I'm missing an entry door into the room? Or are those the bifold doors?

• minnie101
    3 years ago

Good point C, I was just assuming it was on the tv wall but may be wrong!

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Perhaps something like this?

• Needhelp
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m quite new to this site and was being overly cautious 😳 Here are some pics. Thanks for the great suggestions. I really like the ideas that have been put forward.

Entry into the room is via the bifold doors. Behind the curtains is patio door leading to the conservatory.

• Needhelp
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I really love the idea of moving the sofas into an L Shape. I’m just not sure where to place the arm chair as I still want everyone to be able to watch the TV...

I actually have the taller unit to match the tv unit and we could bring that into the room and place it behind the sofa as suggested. It is slimmer than the tv unit, maybe half the size but it could sit under the mirror? We actually purchased the mirror to hang above the fireplace but because it’s so big the top of it was going to be too close to the ceiling (it would have been an 8cm gap), that’s why we hung it above the sofa.

• Needhelp
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have re-jigged the furniture as per the suggestions, here are some pics. I’m not sure what to do about the arm chair or the nest of tables, any ideas?

I like the feel of the new arrangement and it will look better once the chair and tables have a proper home. I will invest in a couple of nice plants as per the suggestions. The one by the mirror was just a test with something I already had.

I’m also thinking of getting rid of the black throw and buying another mink throw, so they both match and maybe new cushions, what do you think?

I know the blinds look naff, what should I replace them with? I don’t want to spend a fortune and I’m useless with a drill.

Any other ideas on sprucing up the room?

• Needhelp
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Whoops I forgot the pics!

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Oh, it does look cosier already. I like it! And I also think that the mirror looks much better over the cabinet than over the sofa. How many people need a seat to watch TV daily? I mean, do you need the chair to face the TV? Because I can't really think how we can arrange it like that, without going back to your previous arrangement which wasn't really terribly cosy.

If possible, I'd move the TV to the right and put the chair in the corner between fireplace and TV, as in the layout drawing. Is your fireplace a working one?

I'd turn the coffee table around and put it more in front of the other sofa. The nest of tables could perhaps go in front of the radiator so it's within easy reach. or where the vase is. The vase could go in the corner where the nest of tables now is. Or under the window along that wall?

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Or the nest of tables next to the sofa that's now on the patio door wall, will be a little bit in front of the patio doors. Hmm...

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Or, if it's at all possible, you could perhaps move the TV to the other side of the room. Don't know how easy it is to turn the chair around if you want to watch TV from it. Perhaps put it on those discs that make furniture easy to slide around...

• Carolina
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

If the fireplace is purely decorative, you could do this... (which is my favourite option, even though the fireplace is lovely)

• Needhelp
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Carolina. We are a family of 5 adults so ideally we need the 2 sofas and the armchair. The fireplace is a working fireplace.

I’ve moved the arm chair into the corner by the fireplace but it looks too tight to live in that spot, what do you think? There is a little space to move the tv further to the right, but not much. I have also moved the table in front of the other sofa but again it feels cramped, possibly because we use the recliner on this sofa more than the other.

I am hesitant to bring the chair to the left of the fireplace as the entrance to the room will be blocked, entry is through the bi fold door.

I love the look of the mirror above the unit, thanks for the idea 😊

• Carolina
    3 years ago

I agree, the chair looks a bit too snug in there. Maybe moving the TV unit a little bit and pulling the chair forward and turning it a tiny bit more will help with that. The total arrangement may need just a little shuffle here and there, but I do think that the room looks much more inviting and cosier. Hope you feel that too.

Maybe a slightly smaller chair instead of the current one (I'm always hesitant to suggest changing furniture, rather work with what is there, but there we are :-) ).

I would also suggest changing the vertical blinds for honeycomb/cellular/thermal blinds. They are different names for the same product. They look warmer, softer and also work as insulation.

https://www.blinds-2go.co.uk/energy-saving-thermal-blinds.htm

• Needhelp
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks again Carolina. After another little re-shuffle the arm chair looks a lot better 😊 We have also moved the unit from under the mirror to the window near the patio door. What do you think of the room now? Would you suggest further tweaks with the furniture arrangement? Do you think a grey rocking chair (see pic) is a good fit for the room? Be brutally honest.

Once the furniture is all good we will be looking at paint ideas, any suggestions on this? We were thinking of removing the wallpaper completely and painting a feature wall, are these still in?

Thanks also for the link to the blinds, once we have paint colours in mind the next thing will be the blinds, especially as we can buy some that retain the heat. Being a north facing room it’s always cold.

Any suggestions on the colour scheme for the cushions, throws and accessories for the room?
    Are the current ones ok or should I go for other colours?

Thanks in advance 😊

• Carolina
    3 years ago

I like the sideboard under the window. Makes the walk through to the patio doors more spacious. Good move! I'm not 'feeling' the grey rocking chair. Especially since grey can be rather cool and dull in a north facing room. If you're happy with the layout now, I'd live with it for a while and see if you'd like a smaller chair. If you do, I would choose a fabric one, in a cream/beige colour.

Okay, I'm going to suggest new curtains too. Sorry :-) Your current ones are a shiny fabric, which doesn't help making it feel warmer. I'd go for something cream coloured with a little bit of texture. Picked this one for the mockup, but anything with a bit of a linen look/feel would be lovely too.

https://www.dunelm.com/product/helena-springfield-eden-cream-eyelet-curtains-1000154762?defaultSkuId=30661008

As @minnie101 mentioned way up in this thread, bringing in texture will make it feel warmer too. And something like Skimming Stone (F&B colour) could be nice for the walls, but paint colours are so difficult to suggest. It has to work in the light of your room and it has to work with your carpet too. And with curtains and blinds. Actually, picking those out before you paint, is easier than the other way around.

I've put Dimity (F&B) and London Stone for an accent wall (I'd do the fireplace wall, I think) in the photoshop mockup, but always test colours out first! Anyway, what do you think of something like this? I 'shopped' at Dunelm, abut the olive wooden bowl on the table is from Amazon I think.

• Carolina
    3 years ago

You could even paint both the fireplace and the TV wall in the darker shade. I think I'd prefer that.

• Needhelp
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for all of your advice Carolina. Your right I don’t need another chair in the room, so I will stick with the existing furniture. I do need new curtains and blinds, it’s amazing how different the room looks in your mock up, it really looks great. Dimitry and London Stone are great colours, can you recommend an equivalent in the homebase own brand?

I’m thinking of buying a bracket for the tv and moving the tv unit (can I get away with it staying in the room, or should I get rid completely?) so there is more room by the chair. If it’s possible do you recommend the tv on the wall where it is now, above the fireplace or in the corner where it was in my original pics. I’m so undecided it’s ridiculous!

I also want to change the lighting in the room, as the existing main lights are not bright enough. Any suggestions on this? I want something that looks fab but isn’t going to hit anyone’s head if they are walking under them.

Sorry for all the questions!

• Needhelp
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I forget the mention the skirting, I was thinking of white. Do you agree or should I paint it the same colour as the walls? I read it makes the room look taller if they are painted the same colour as the walls.

• Needhelp
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is a photo of the existing lighting, there are 2 of these ceiling lights in the room and a matching floor lamp.

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Hi again :-)

I would paint the skirting boards white, but leave the oak doors as they are. I'm sorry, don't know equivalents to those F&B colours, but I know that lots of people have them mixed in Johnstone paint.

About mounting the TV on the wall; have you tried the TV back in the corner and the chair to the right of it? It depends on how it works best for you all.

About lighting: I would add some lighting at different levels, so floor lamp(s), table lamp on the cabinet. Lighting up the darker corners of the room will make a big difference.

• Needhelp
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the tips! The chair looked out of place when I moved it so it’s definitely remaining by the fireplace. I ordered some curtains yesterday (https://www.johnlewis.com/house-by-john-lewis-arlo-pair-lined-eyelet-curtains/lily/p3295969?size=w228-x-drop-228cm#product) and I will order the cream cushions today. I’m not sure about the colour of the other cushions though. I’m also thinking of bringing some colour into the room, or do you suggest playing safe with the neutrals?

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Those curtains look great! Nice choice. Hope they work out really well.

It's your room, you can definitely bring colour in if you want. We need @minnie101 She's great with finding the right accessories and such. Hopefully she'll feel like chipping in :-)

• Needhelp
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Carolina 😊

There is some red in the room at the moment, the branches in the vase and a couple of other splashes of red on the fireplace. But I’m happy to be guided by the experts on this.

• minnie101
    3 years ago

Thanks Carolina, I’ve spent days looking for supposedly simple bits for me and have failed miserably 😂

If you’re keeping the red bits I think teal would work nicely with the tan and the red based paint C suggested.

I’ve just added a rug, not sure what you think. I find flush lights are hard to find but I like this one and the curves complement the table? You could add more teal for a lamp shade and cushion for which I’ve added a link as there are a few that would work, patterned or plain.

https://www.blindsdirect.co.uk/cushions#q=Lamp%20shade&page=1&colour_flags=Teal

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Oh, I really like the teal/blue

• Needhelp
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Minnie! I think the teal is growing on me 😊 I’m not sure about the light fitting though as other than the mirror and door knobs everything in the room is silver. The rug colours are also pretty bold, probably because I’m not really one for prints, I tend to stick with single colour furnishings. It may also grow on me though...so watch this space!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.