genuine_person

Need help with my dining room

Genuine Person
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Is my dining room too 'junior' and too 'office-y?' I'd be grateful for any ideas. I'm on a tight budget by the way and not good with a drill. What changes can I make to make it modern, but light in colour, please? The few books I do have, I'd like to keep in my dining room.

Comments (36)

• Ellie
    3 years ago

Are the books in the file and the paintings just there in position until you get proper storage? Your books in those little boxes look temporary, like an office. I'd put in full shelves for your books. Shelving alone will make the room instantly better

Genuine Person thanked Ellie
  • Genuine Person
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, Ellie. Unfortunately, I can't drill. I can perhaps have free-standing shelving?

• Related Discussions

Need help on colour - curtains, suite of furniture in large living,dining room

Q

Comments (2)
    Yellows/creams/ whites/ and grays are very fresh right now. The gray can range from light silver to charcoal, but it won't take away from bright and airy feel, because it really makes the yellows and creams stand out.
    ...See More

Need help to dress up my dining room,am thinking of cream panelling,ra

Q

Comments (33)
    If you want custom cream panelling built from scratch, it is likely to take you more than three weeks to line up a contractor, get it built and then painted. If you want to use beadboard (thin, lightweight, cheap) you can do it yourself if you are good at the small precision cuts around the wood window trim and behind the radiators. You can get a custom built wood cover with doors for your tv or use the painting over tv disguise made with hinges. I think the room is beautiful as it is. Spend some money on a truly beautiful, impressive chandelier, have it centered over the table. If you want to impress relatives at an event, the chandelier is the way to go. Clean the windows for extra sparkle. If you are in the US, try Home Decorators http://www.homedecorators.com for DVD storage cabinets that are closed. I would not get a rug for this room unless I was ready to get it cleaned frequently and I could find one that looked good with dog hair on it and did not show stains. A good quality, highly patterned wool Oriental rug will do that job nicely. Such a rug is an investment and may take longer than three weeks to find.
    ...See More

Need help with my Family room

Q

Comments (0)
    I have a room which is in the middle of two other rooms (one if which is a conservatory) so it gets no natural light other than from the off white glass French doors that lead onto the conservatory. The walls are painted a light grey and the woodwork is all off white. I have an L shaped grey let her couch in the room & as wondering what colour carotene I should out down to maximise the brightness of the room that tends to be on the darker dude because of its limited natural light. The glass side table and overhead light fittings are all silver chrome. Many thanks for your help. Jane
    ...See More

Need help for my utility room

Q

Comments (1)
    I think you might have to have a carpenter build a cabinet around the washing machine for the dryer to be placed on. I don't think a shelf would be strong enough. There might be some photos on the Internet of such a shelf...
    ...See More
  • Ellie
    3 years ago

Can you get in someone to put up some shelves in the alcoves if you can't yourself?

• rinked
    3 years ago

Very officy ;)

Save some money to get something up there with doors, even glazed would be nice, even if just on one side, please do have it secured to the wall somehow (or keep it low). Hang a framed poster on the other side, a nail in the crown trim and nylon thread should do. And books are great, but not the file boxes.

Genuine Person thanked rinked
  • Genuine Person
    Original Author
    3 years ago

How about if I took the 'bookcases/files' off altogether and put the two pictures I have propped up in place?

• rinked
    3 years ago

I'd say try it, moving it all around around is free ;) (and remember it really doesn't have to be symmetric)

Genuine Person thanked rinked
  • sarh123
    3 years ago

I wonder if you put something like the Ikea Syvde (a glass display cabinet £115) on top of your base cabinet? You would still need someone to drill the wall to secure it but it could transform the room from office to dining. If you have a local Facebook community group you can usually find someone to do a quick job like this. And you can ask them to show you how to do the drilling in future!

Genuine Person thanked sarh123
  • sarh123
    3 years ago

Otherwise how about trying the two bookcases together one side (with a mixture of books and decorative items), the two pictures the other and hide the files. But I’d secure the bookcases to the wall anyway. By the way if you get a display cabinet you’ll need to check the depth against the chimney breast as the cabinet needs to be the same or shallower.

• Ellie
    3 years ago

Definitely think books together on one side would be best in this case

• Genuine Person
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all. I'll try sarh123's suggestion.

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

The proportions look uncomfortable. If you can't drill and want an easy solution then some cut to size timber shelves and painted breeze blocks might give a better lower wider solution on either side.

Genuine Person thanked Juliet Docherty
  • Carolina
    3 years ago

Apart from the different storage options that have been suggested above, I'd do something with the chimney. This designer on Instagram (Carmeon Hamilton) did a handpainted wall. You could use the grey paint and paint a pattern on the white background of the chimney? Think it'll look cool and interesting...

Genuine Person thanked Carolina
  • Carolina
    3 years ago

Have thought about it and here's what I'd try: put the bookcases somewhere on the floor, with your files in it, put your books on top of the 'wall', in groups, with some plants and decorative objects. A nice table lamp would be good up there too, I think. You can use sticky thingies, hold on, I'll find the name... Command Strips, to hang pictures, so you don't have to drill.

Genuine Person thanked Carolina
  • keiblem
    3 years ago

Some good suggestions here that are all worth trying starting with the no drill options first.

Might I also suggest you paint the mirror frame in a contrasting colour to make it stand out against the wall. If you are feeling adventurous you could try silver gilding it which, trust me, is so much easier than it sounds.

As to your drilling phobia. We have all been there. I certainly have. I well remember my first attempt at fitting shelf brackets in my very first home. It was nerve wracking and took the best part of the day but I managed it and those shelves were my pride and joy. It’s a skill well worth mastering because I cannot count the number of times I have used it since or can calculate the amount of money and time it has saved me. Just be mindful of the location of electric cables and water pipes!

Genuine Person thanked keiblem
  • Genuine Person
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, keiblem. Can you recommend a beginner's drill that's lady-friendly and lightweight at the same time?

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

I decent drill is a really good investment, I've had mine for 25 years. It's quite a heavy Bosch one but not so heavy to be a problem. A cordless one can be really useful.

Genuine Person thanked Juliet Docherty
  • 88wj88
    3 years ago

Drilling is a skill that is best practised before going into walls confidently. My first try looked as if you could tear the wall on a dotted line, and an awful lot of filler to put right. I hasten to add this was a very, very long time ago. I have no fears about drilling now.

Genuine Person thanked 88wj88
  • keiblem
    3 years ago

Yes indeed perhaps try on a scrap of wood first.

• Jen
    3 years ago

Agree with everyone, that the choice of drill is very personal, whatever feels comfortable and nicely weighted. I’m another female of average strength (and rather older than average age 😁), but happily use a corded hammer drill that is quite compact but fairly heavy. A few tips are to check your drill bits are in good condition and that you are using the right type for whatever you are drilling into. It also helps if you can position yourself so that you are centred and directly facing where you want to drill, and ideally between elbow and shoulder height. Obviously that’s not always possible, but I’d save any jobs that are at an awkward height or angle until you have gained confidence. One other tip is that’s often easiest to choose a small drill bit to drill a pilot hole first... Good luck!

Genuine Person thanked Jen
  • Genuine Person
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all so much.

• keiblem
    3 years ago

Sorry Genuine Person my talk of the joys of drill ownership has taken us away from your original question. There has been some good ideas put forward. I for one would be very interested to see an ‘after’ photo.

• midwalesparky
    3 years ago

I would get rid of the mirror entirely and put those nice pictures in its place on the chimney breast. Lots of people don't like looking at themselves or in a mirror whilst eating. Reverse your current paint scheme by painting the chimney breast a dark, inviting and stylish colour that shows off the pictures well. Use command strips for now, but learn to drill and invest in a drill that's right for you. Also invest in a pipe/cable detector because, though there are "conventions" in place that SHOULD dictate where people run electric cable, in particular, there are also many idiots around who run them in some very dangerous places. Finally: either replace a lot of that stationery for box files/magazine files that look pretty or if possible, hang a rod at the top of those shelves so that you can run up a curtain in a really nice fabric and just hide the contents. Then use their tops for displaying something nice: perhaps a trailing plant (on the side, not the front where it will get in the way of the curtain) on top of the one nearest the window and something else on the other one. Or do as someone suggests: put them both in one alcove if they'll fit, but definitely replace that stationery and then do something with wow factor in the empty alcove. Generally, I think you could do with some colour to brighten the spirits up as well as the room. But keep it simple in case the stationery you find is a little "busy".

Genuine Person thanked midwalesparky
  • Wumi
    3 years ago

Sorry to digress back to drills but a good starting point would be a cordless drill with a rechargeable battery. The previous owner of our house left an Aldi cordless which is really quite fantastic for small jobs. It was this one https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-18v-li-ion-combi-drill/p/082854214104700

A good set of screw bits. I can recommend these -

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-mixed-screwdriver-bit-set-32-pieces/6810T?tc=NA8&ds_kid=92700055262507123&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI29XY7Oyl7wIVFUiRBR2jBAMdEAQYAiABEgKwx_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

A stud finder - I have this and I’ve yet to drill into a pipe or electric cable (touch wood)

Decent drill bits (cheap drill bits are a false economy).

I can recommend these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeWalt-Mason-Drill-Bit-6mm/dp/B0013LL95K

And some wall plugs and screws. Which size and type would depend on the type of wall you have and what size screw you need. I’ve found Plasplug and Rawlplug to be decent brand for wall plugs.

As others suggested, have a chat with someone in your local hardware store if your unsure.

If ever I’m unsure about something I’ll just jump onto YouTube, a lot of tradespeople post tutorials for beginners and do troubleshooting videos.

Good luck!

P.s - also a woman 😉

Genuine Person thanked Wumi
  • midwalesparky
    3 years ago

I also would not get a cordless. If you're concerned about the weight, many of the cordless drills have the added weight of the battery to contend with and you never have a charged battery when you need one, though a decent drill will come with a spare. But that battery can also take a long time to charge. Unless you're planning on drilling lots of places where a socket is hard to get to, I would just stick with a corded drill. And since international women's day was so close - yes, I'm also a woman.

Genuine Person thanked midwalesparky
  • sarh123
    3 years ago

I'm afraid that I'm a cordless fan! I love the Makita LXT range - the batteries are powerful and interchangeable and the tools are really easy to use. They are more expensive but are a long term investment-the drill replaced a B&D corded. I started with the Makita drill and now have a multitool, circular saw, even a hedge trimmer- I have my eye on a couple more (sad that I browse the Makita range on my phone...). I have only one battery but if you're disciplined and put them on charge after use, it's no problem. I just found that I was always worried about where the cord was, so the uncorded is one less thing to worry about. (PS also a woman and the Makita multitool was a 60th birthday present from my daughter!)

• keiblem
    3 years ago

It’s wonderful to know there are so many female DIY’ers out there. Mind it doesn’t get out of hand. I have just invested in a cement mixer and an amazing wheelbarrow to match. Sadly they only come in orange.

• Jen
    3 years ago

A cement mixer is next on my wish list! Do let us know what you’ve bought and how you get on...
    (And another apology, Genuine Person, for sidetracking your post. I’m really liking Carolina’s suggestions for your dining room. Please keep us in the loop with your progress)

• keiblem
    3 years ago

It is a Belle cement mixer and it has already paid for itself. Easy to use and easy to clean. The wheelbarrow is also by Belle. The Belle Warrior. Great name. It is made of some type of plastic which is apparently indestructible and I am beginning to believe it!

• Jen
    3 years ago

Thanks Keiblem. Easy to clean is crucial! 😁

• Bee Bennett
    3 years ago

Lots of great suggestions here. I would definitely get away from symmetry and put the shelves together but remember to balance what you have on one side with either the height, visual weight or feel of whats on the other.

You could use acrylic paint or free offcuts of wallpaper for jazzing up box file spines or storage boxes. Try to have a common theme, eg floral, geometries, tones or colours.

We MUST see a photo and if you get stuck or are unsure, re-post your 'half way there' photo and ask again. The reason the mirror doesn't look right where it is is due, partly, to proportions ... its just too small for that blank area. You could use it as part of a balanced (not symetrical) display of pictures/ photos and mirror in the same space and the proportions would feel better.

A home-made runner on the table would bring warmth too.

Hope you are enjoying yourself. Don't be afraid to try things, go wrong and try something else. Have FUN!

Genuine Person thanked Bee Bennett
  • Sarah La Cumbre
    3 years ago

I'd paint the whole lot in a dark colour, all walls, ceiling, architrave, skirting, mirror, chimney breast, recesses, shelving. Shelve the entire recess, disguise household files by mixing in interesting objects, trailing faux plants. Check out Abigail Aherne for inspo

Genuine Person thanked Sarah La Cumbre
  • christineacy
    3 years ago

Hello. It looks like the room needs to be softened. The great thing about white is that you can add to it. What are your favourite colours and add white to it to make it lighter. Is there a favourite object you have in your dinning room and add some accessories to match it. You can soften by using wood plants and lighting.

You have two box shelves why not put then together in one of the alcoves. That would give you the impression of a bookshelf. You could then get a plank of wood or shelf and place it on it. Which would leave the top to put big books plants / favourite things on it. There are lots of thing you can use to prop up a shelf as long as they are the same height, stools, boxes, wooden blocks, square or other shaped glass vases... You could change the colour of the box shelf fronts, there are an amazing range of paints so get a tester pots or B&Q or other DIY shop will make out colours for you just take the thing you want to match with you. Also there are lots of different colour duck tapes that you could use. Or get wallpaper samples and line the cubes or the outside edge. Do not over fill the cubes with books so you see the lining. Change the look of the files, and boxes by covering them, again wall paper samples, or even fabrics. If you have a fav dress, skirt, trousers, duvet even, that have a pattern or something you like, but no longer fits, use them instead to cover them.

In the other alcove, match it to make it symmetrical or put a large plant pot in there. Resting next to it can be more books. Add a picture next to it. Lighting would soften the area's. Some battery powered string lights which you can put in a glass vase, or on the perimeter of the alcoves. You can pin them using a stapler or tool station does an extra strong double sided tape called mammoth. Note it will take your paint off if not careful, so to check position, use bluetac first.

The chimney breast could be your favorite pastel colour or strong colour. Or the white framed mirror could be the favourite colour. You could put lots of framed and unframed pictures on it. Charity shops have an amazing frames for pennies. I have even found postersize frames and 3D frames for under a £1. Websites like freeprints will print off pictures for the price of postage, a bit more if you want bigger images. You can frame postcards, images of from magazines, newspapers. Make your own, typographic inspiration, or a persons quote from your computer and frame it... Another shelf / over mantle under the mirror would give another dimension to the area. P.S. Do not forget ebay and local charity shops for shelving.

I hope this helps.... but most of all experiment and have fun.

Genuine Person thanked christineacy
  • Genuine Person
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My gosh, I'm so grateful for your ideas. They're absolutely excellent. I take my hat off to you all. I think though I'll start with painting the alcoves in beige and leaving the chimney breast white or vice a versa and see how I end up! Lol.

• Bee Bennett
    3 years ago

Good luck. Do post your results :)

Genuine Person thanked Bee Bennett
  • Genuine Person
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Will do xx

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.