eviech

Tiny Garden / Courtyard rescue

Evie C.H.
3 years ago

Along with half the country we added a garden office to our already tiny garden. Now I am desperate to rescue the remaining space and create a cosy outdoor relaxation and play space.
I’d would be grateful for your ideas as I have no imagination when it comes to outdoor design!

I am thinking that paving it all might be the way, as it’s already so broken up? Maybe a rectangular table to the left with some fairy lights above. Pot plants wherever I can fit them. And maybe keeping the border to the left for some planting.

I also wonder if there’s space for a tiny sand pit for my toddler. And I need to leave a patch for my pup’s morning business (maybe the border to the left?)

I tried to take some pictures of what is the “garden” now.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Kingfisher Designs
    3 years ago

You could gracel it rather then pathing, which would give you the option to have some plants actualy in the ground alongwith pots and maybe a raisedbed at the side for a sand pit etc where the blue tarp is. If you want it visualised for you I do 3D models of gardens so you could see it before you do anything.

• pjdklm
    3 years ago

Hi- we overhauled our garden when my children were 1 and 2 and added a small built in sand
    pit at the edge of the lawn. I quickly regretted it... sand got everywhere (it’s apparently much more fun on the lawn than in the pit), and despite good drainage and a cover, the sand always seemed a bit wet. Not to mention the insects it attracts. How I wish we had just stuck to the popular plastic “water and sand table”!

• kazzh
    3 years ago

I caught a glimpse in one of the photos of the clever use of an outdoor mirror to give the illusion of another space - i think you could use this trick to your advantage, either at the far side where your outdoor chair is currently and using the existing ivy to soften the edges. Encourage the ivy on that side for green and/or add some narrow planters for some colorfull annuals. Another position could be between the gate and the office space, with a climber to provide greenery and flowers to soften the mirror edges.

Lifting the current pathways might help so you no longer have a 'border' and provide a greater sense of space. Rather than demolish, they could be cut into squares and be relaid in a diamond shape to form a pathway - singularly or a larger pattern - to take you to the office , opening up some planting areas along the walls. Another larger diamond could be a patio space. After the rejig of the pavers, you would still have some lawn areas for little toes to feel and for 4 legged friends.

As others have suggested, in a permanent sandpit might be a bit of trouble so another option there might suit better.

• rinked
    3 years ago

The brown stripes are a pergola, so the greens can go upwards. Below it a strip with flowers and herbs, for example. The patch of grass is small, but should be kept empty for those tiny bare feet. Make sure the grass you pick is shade-proof.

I agree a sand pit is messy (and with a pup even more). Our boy is just as pleased with a mortar tub with sand and some water. And I did not make a patch for the puppy, maybe you could take him/her just around the corner of the garden?

• kazzh
    3 years ago

Some vision for the idea......

• nancyorford
    3 years ago

Perhaps,with a toddler, paving better than gravel if you are going remove grass (not easy to keep in good condition in a small area).And local cats love it...!!! And use one colour garden paint on wood structures & fences to give a cohesive feel.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.