webuser_16713319

feeling overwhelmed

Ruth House
3 years ago

I'm struggling to focus or achieve even small things in our new house as there's so much we want to do, I don't know where to start.
It was a difficult move, we didn't want to leave our old house but had to due to the school catchments. We all miss our old house, street and neighbours. Also had family bereavement 6 days before the move so it was all very traumatic, along with lockdown and a long cold winter we have struggled to settle.
We've been here 5 months now and have only managed to change a couple of lightshades. We're lucky enough to have a good sum of money so we can plan for an extension and new kitchen plus garage conversion to accommodate downstairs bathroom. But we're at the start of those plans and I can't seem to focus on any decisions. I'm constantly looking at kitchens online but don't know what style I like, we should be looking at bathrooms but I can't face it. We'd promised the kids (9&5) that's we'd decorate their bedrooms first but that requires electrician, plasterer and underfloor insulation so feels a bit overwhelming too.
The garden is also going to need about £5k of remedial work as requires french drains to improve waterlogged. This is a massive heartache for us as we left behind a gorgeous garden at our old house and this one just doesn't live up.
The front of house is also depressing, so dated and miserable, driveway is grotty, the kids call it the ugly house:-( so thinking about giving some budget to a new porch but can't work out whether to prioritise or park that idea.
architect coming for second visit to measure up and survey tomorrow.......just feel like turning him away as not sure I'm ready..
Has anyone else felt this way in a new house? Did you feel OK once you started making progress or did you feel you rushed things and should have let things settle for longer?
Thanks for reading, just needed it off my chest I think.

Comments (11)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.