raffaella_mischiati

Ideas to make north facing garden look bigger and brighter

Hello Houzzers,

Please could you help with some options/ideas for our north facing garden.

It’s 47 ft x 41 ft with a gigantic period outbuilding in it (3 x 8mt) that we have converted Into an office/play room/guest room with a shower/wc. We have built a patio in the front of the outbuilding as it is the sunniest part of the garden so we are thinking now of a retractable awning or pergola to the front of the outbuilding, so we can use it more and have some shade in the hottest part of the day.

We are also thinking of a smaller sitting area on the left of the outbuilding as it is quite protected (bench? With maybe some metal pots/planters attached to the back fence?). My husband wants to paint the fence in a light colour (cream/light grey) but I am concerned that the receding colour will make the bricked outbuilding even more imposing.

What do you think? How do we soften the look of the outbuilding and its impact in the garden?

We have considered repainting the outbuilding and the fences

in lighter colours but haven’t got the budget to do it this year.

Note also the new orangey bike shed to the left which we could paint in a different colour.

We have just put trellis for climbing roses/clematis on the walls of the building, but would like to keep a soft/light look in winter too.

We have two teenage boys who mainly use the garden for the trampoline nowadays (I know, another big eyesore).

Any suggestion would be great!

Comments (20)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.