webuser_466667907

Ventilation options: condensation in a 60s Flat

HU-466667907
3 years ago

Hello!

I've recently bought a ground floor 60s flat, concrete walls, no cavity insulation or cladding currently.

I cant seem to manage the condensation very well in the flat, our bedroom window is sopping every morning unless we open the window wide, and it rims the other windows too. There is black mould growing in the corners of certain rooms where there are two external walls. We've also inherited old storage heaters which makes it really difficult to control the heat, especially in the evenings (replacing these with infrared panels asap). The windows are double glazed, although not the newest double glazing. I've put trickle vents in, it hasn't made any difference at all. There isnt currently an extractor fan in the kitchen and the only openable window there is quite small which I'm sure is not helping.

We really want to try and manage the condensation better by improving and installing mechanical ventilation. I know it starts with better insulation but convincing my entire block to fork out for cavity wall insulation and cladding is another maybe more slowly moving process. So for now, I can put wall rock inside. I've had a quote for a quite expensive PIV system but I'm worried about throwing money at it when I have limited insulation options and the salesman didnt sound totally convinced that it would solve my condemsation issue! I've read that 'always on' ventilation in kitchen and bathroom is another much cheaper option and wondering if I should go down this route. I don't think my freeholder management company is going to let me poke too many holes in the exterior of the building so am keen to get it right the first time but am finding all the different systems and their acronyms very confusing! :(

Anyone else have similar issues in a flat?

Thanks!

Anna

Comments (2)

• Wumi
    3 years ago

I had condensation problems in my old rental flat. The bathroom was windowless and the kitchen had no extraction. We could control the bathroom by over-running the extractor fan long after a shower and would have the windows cracked open on 'vent' setting when drying clothes.

Have you considered installing a Mechanical Heat Recovery System? You can get single room units that vent directly to an external wall (similar to an extractor fan. You could install single room units in more humid rooms - bathroom, kitchen.

Avoid hang drying wet clothes in the house. Invest in a washer/dryer or I've heard running a dehumidifier next to drying clothes makes them dry really fast.

• HU-466667907
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Wumi that’s really useful. Yes we’ve bought a dehumidifier with a laundry setting. We have a similar issue in that there is no extractor fan in the kitchen, we’ll change this during the renovation. We’re just a little worried about the level of condensation in the bedroom at night and wanting to get everything right during the Reno so that doesn’t happen anymore as it’s growing mould around the window unless they are open at night. I’ve looked into PIV but not MHRS, thank you for suggesting it, I will research this now!

Anna

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.