twamleyk

Help with design of tiny garden!!

twamleyk
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi All,

Okay. I have a tiny back garden which overlooks the thames / thames pathway (i.e. people walk by the bottom of the garden - which I am fine with). I have inserted some photos here of how it currently is:

The photos are taken from the house, where we are installing bifold doors. Here is my plan of the garden, with measurements:

So, the wall to the left, I have just measured to the step (410cm). The wall of the kitchen with the bifolds, at the bottom of the page, is 390cm total - the bifolds don't take up the whole wall (63cm of wall left on the left, 48cm left on the right). There is a balcony over these bifolds, stretching out about 1.2m. I intend to put a couple of hooks in the underside for hammock seats. The wall on the left of the picture, I am planning to put in this IKEA set (though comments welcome! Ideally I would do built in, but budgetary constraints...), with lights above, possibly shelving and planting...

Then the idea is to have built in L shaped benches, from the wall overlooking the river (against the current wall) and then on the right hand side of the picture, with the bamboos you see planted behind the built in benches. I am really struggling with what these benches will be like? I would ideally like rendered and painted white, to be honest, or pale grey, and for them to have built in storage, but what about the wall against the river, which is brick?? Anyway, here is an inspiration photo:

Creative Outdoor Solutions · More Info

And another, with patterned tiles, which we are struggling to find:

The edible garden / Garden for a London chef · More Info

Anyway, any thoughts on the design I have mocked up, tiling, materials for the built in benches, plants for the wall overlooking the thames (the garden is north facing - I was thinking of herbs mostly, just because I use them a lot in my cooking), and any other points you think I should take into consideration.

Thank you thank you in advance!

Comments (18)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.