kirstyne_obrien

How to future proof your house configuration soec?

K OB
3 years ago

Hello, we've got a design day booked in with a concept designer in a couple of months so we're trying to refine our spec for our 3 bed detached home. We have 6 year old twin boys and expect to be in this house for likely another 10 years or do unless circumstances dictate otherwise. Currently my wishlist includes creating a fully open plan living area, utility area, a 4th bedroom and study. BUT it struck me that our family needs will likely change as the kids grow. Any suggestions for how to approach this please? Thanks

Comments (6)

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

It’s impossible to predict how your life will change over ten years- so the best you can do it plan for now and try to leave yourself expansion options for later- so consider stair placement for a later loft conversion, don’t put the kitchen against a wall that you might later knock through to extend, consider that the twins might shower instead of bath when they are older, plan to get the wifi right to homeschool and work from home.

• Ricky Watkins
    3 years ago

current floorplan?

• K OB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

current rough floor plan, NTS but proportions are roughly there

• Mary Ketchley
    3 years ago

When my children were little we had a mostly open plan ground floor. It was great and really suited us. Now I have 2 teenagers and a 10 year old everyone wants their own space more. I’d recommend considering if you can fit in 2 lounge type spaces. Especially if they like Xbox games.

• Sarah U-S
    3 years ago

I’m in exactly the same position as Mary, with two now teenagers! When we had our kitchen extended, the children were little and I planned a big open space. The architect suggested we changed this to fit bifold doors to separate out the new sitting area. I’m so glad that he did!!! This second sitting room is now home to the x box, and Covid aside, is usually full of teenagers!! It’s been a godsend. The kids and their friends stay in there for entire weekends and have minimal impact on the rest of the house. (Having glass doors also means we can keep a discrete eye on them too!)

• K OB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thanks all for the feedback, very much appreciated and great point about thinking about where they could have their own space in time... especially with glazing to keep a subtle eye on things 😉

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.