webuser_327987129

Help with plan 1930's semi

Joanne Fisher
3 years ago

So, after having back quotes we realise, we can't afford to do all the work we want to, so having a re think. We are hoping to make a better open plan space by removing the utility and WC that are currently in the middle of the house (the original kitchen and outhouse), and then knock down the supporting walls between the dining room and those rooms and then the old exterior wall between the kitchen and current utility space.

Our original plan was to change the window in the kitchen to a french door, moving slightly so it allows a full run of units (700mm rather than the current 400mm) then add a corner window with seating and storage underneath, where there is currently the very small window in the WC. The structural work needed for this is we think too much for our budget, so I'm looking at a new solution, but can't quite get my head around what to do now. (Note the corner window isn't shown on this plan at all) The reason for the corner window is that the corner juts out in front of the bay window which isn't great.

Additionally, we would want to create a new WC. I keep going backwards and forwards on access for this, currently I am thinking a pocket door and access from playroom (which I think could be built wet room ready for use as bedroom?) My concern with this, it's a long way from the garden for a quick dash for kids, mud etc, but possibly preferable in terms of space for kitchen and having a loo directly off the kitchen. We had drawn up a utility room accesssed via a pocket door from kitchen and then into WC, but I feel it is a bit big for my needs and takes too much from kitchen and playroom spaces. Note : We can't really use the understairs as access as the height is quite low and all the meters, under floor heating and other plant is in that space.

Suggested change from utility/WC - obviously not too scale!

Comments (2)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.