webuser_57939875731

Implications of going beyond permitted development limits

Susi Knightwell
3 years ago

Our architect has come up with plans that go 70cm beyond permitted development allowances, but has said that if it were him, he wouldn’t get planning permission for the extra space. It’s a one story kitchen extension, and won’t have any negative effect on neighbouring properties as far as I can tell.
I have thoughts about this as it is, but I want to understand the exact repercussions of not getting planning permission for the extra space.
I think he is assuming no one will ever measure it, but if they do, I suspect it would cause a real headache if we wanted to sell the house. Is there anything else I should bear in mind? Has anyone else gone down this route (and is willing to admit it?!)?

Comments (5)

• Karenza Roy
    3 years ago

I havnt gone down this route personally but I know someone who went about a metre or two over their permission and fully went ahead and built it.. the council heard about it and they know are having serious problems. the council initially demanded them to knock down the entire building even the original part but they are trying to claim the permission currently...
    I'm not sure it's worth the risk

• Karenza Roy
    3 years ago

your artichet also knows that once you pay him for the job then he's out and away from it and it's no longer his problem when you get into trouble!!

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Don’t risk it. I had a garage built in my garden which was just within permitted development parameters. We did have a guy from the council check the footings (my builder dealt with him), I think it was Building Regs (?) but not sure of exact title. Everything was okay. You will probably also get a visit, so just isn’t worth it. Can’t believe your architect even suggested it!

• mare9772
    3 years ago

Your architect sounds dodgy.

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

I think you may have misunderstood him saying don’t worry about planning. More likely he is saying that people try to build within permitted development but you needn’t worry about planning permission being a burden- it’s likely a £206 fee and short wait so not something to worry about.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.