louise_kane41

fireplace inspo

Louise Kane
3 years ago

Hi Everyone, this is my first post 😬 in need of some advice. I've recently moved into this house, the fireplace looks like this.....any ideas on how I can spruce it up to make it look ok? I've ordered an oversize round mirror for above but there must be something else I can do. Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)

• Karenza Roy
    3 years ago

are you keen to keep the beams and the fire places that's already there? or you willing to rip it out and start over? what's your budget? (not to be nosey but just so I can get an idea of what sortof style/amount of money you have to spend on this

• Louise Kane
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have a very small budget, the whole downstairs needs doing so rather than committing to something now I wanted to just make it look better whilst I save for the renovation. happy to change the whole thing, I'm not fussed on the wood at all

• Louise Kane
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thankyou for replying!

• Karenza Roy
    3 years ago

ok! can't seem to find a pic to show what I mean but you could paint the beams? either white to blend in and against the walls or a colour? this could then turn the fire place into a feature and almost improve the state of it because as you say it's only a temporary solution... do you have pics of the rest of the room so I can see the style?

• Louise Kane
    Original Author
    3 years ago

this is its current state, as you can see.....in need of some TLC

• PRO
    R.A Interiors
    3 years ago

Hi Louise, If you're looking for a really quick fix I would suggest painting the vertical and slanted beams white to blend them in with the fire surround. This then creates the illusion of a floating beam, giving it a cleaner, modern feel. Add some candles/ ornaments to the mantel and a vase next to the hearth maybe with some pampus grass to add texture and voila! A very quick fix :)

• Louise Kane
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thankyou!

• Karenza Roy
    3 years ago

I can see you have decorated the beams which is good it adds some character. I think if you brought new sofas in time to come when you can afford it then that would just change the whole look all over again!!
    sounds like R.A interiors agrees with what I'm saying about painting the beams.. my next suggestion was to be to put some ornaments on their too 😄so we are thinking very similar... however please please don't junk the area if you want to almost blend away the fireplace because you don't like it currently then don't draw attention to it by cluttering it up

• Louise Kane
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thankyou for replying, yep dont want to bring any additional attention to it! new sofas are a must, the whole house is a project which is great but will take time

• minnie101
    3 years ago

I agree with the other comments but just thought I’d add this link as you can pick up surrounds quite cheaply. No idea if it works size wise though and whether the wallpaper goes under the mantle!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/focal-point-regent-fire-surround-white/6347g

• Louise Kane
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thankyou, I will take a look

• Sonia
    3 years ago

I’m sorry but I’m not sure about that surround, it looks like a gallows! We replaced an old, horrible fireplace with a new surround and hearth on a very tight budget when we moved in in 1983 and I still love it. We removed some of the brick rubbish inside, washed all the bricks, then bought a natural pine surround from B&Q for £99 and painted it white. The hearth is actually sandstone garden paving, so cheap as chips. It was difficult to find a stone hearth cheaply so it had to do.

So I would source another surround, paint it any colour you wish - white, grey, black, any colour you like. The hearth looks okay, I think. This is mine with an electric fire.

• Louise Kane
    Original Author
    3 years ago

😆 gallows is exactly right!! thankyou for the inspiration, your fire looks lovely x

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.