jess_6000

Extension to replace retaining wall - garden at window level? Help!

Jess Burton
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

hi all,

Would really appreciate any help!

We have bought a house where we had hoped to do a 3m single story extension then push back a retaining wall another 3m to create a patio area and dig out ugly raised section of the garden. We are getting quotes in for the extension which as coming in around what we expect but we have not fully understood the cost and significance of removing the current raised area, we are getting quotes for around an additional 15k which is really not in budget at all!

to save money an idea us/a builder has come up with us to build out and ’build in’ to the current raised area - so for most of the kitchen the garden would start at window level - it’s already lower on the left side so we could have a door/french windows that side without too much digging out. We would have the extension as the new retaining wall itself. We could then tart up the current raised area fairly cheaply.

Has anyone done this? Do you have any pictures? would it look odd to have to kitchen looking out at that level or could it be a nice feature?

I have attached pictures that will hopefully sshow better than I have explained!

Any my thoughts of where I can see some pictures of similar would be amazing!!

Jess

Comments (10)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.