tracy_mccormackgibbs

Update my living Room. Any ideas??

Tracy Mccormack-gibbs
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Everyone my name is Tracy and I was last on here 4 years ago when I updated my living room and got some amazing ideas from you all- especially @Carolina, Thank you!

So 4 years on and having gone for some of your ideas I want to update again. sadly i cannot start from scratch and some things need to stay! If I started over it would all be neutral/ grey i think.

So what has to stay :-

1) Carpet- YES- sandy, gold, biscuit. beige colour

2) Curtains - YES. they are made from Villa Nova fabric, Hanna in Arcacia 04. Happy to change or paint curtain rails.

3) Sofas - YES , although i would consider recovering them if had to est.£4,300

4) Furniture- YES/ NO. I hate all the mahogany furniture now so could repaint/ upcycle it? if so what colour or buy new? or mix it with some new furniture? I love the Hanna Oyster sideboard, console table and TV table _ photo below- all available from from Dunelm Mill

5) Lighting- want to keep modern glass chrome lamps, ceiling and wall lights, but others could be painted or changed?

6) Pictures- some might stay but happy to buy new ones or paint frames of existing and change prints

7) Cushions- Okay to change these or swap some. I have 4 Floral cushions with plain cream backs and 5 Of the blue velvet cushions.

8) Walls- Would like to repaint with Farrow & Ball Dimity neutral colour as this is what I have elsewhere in the house. Not so keen on wallpaper as i have had this room covered in paper previously and it took a lot of work to remove.

9) TV Stand- Hate it. Would like a clear glass cantilever TV stand

Would really appreciate all your ideas about how to update / improve my lounge. i have attached several photos including a couple of the Dunelm Mill Hanna furniture. Many thanks Tracy

Comments (34)

• minnie101
    3 years ago

Hi, i hope this doesn’t sound rude/nosey but do you have an overall budget in mind? Just thinking it might be easier to work backwards that way.

style wise, is it a sort of English country house/Oka type look you’re after?

• Tracy Mccormack-gibbs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Minnie101 it is a Berkeley Homes House that we have lived in for 28 years and each room has therefore had several updates over the years. I would call it a traditional home I think? having not known what Oka style was i googled it and went on Westbury Garden Rooms to see OKA'S Giselle Mannering style- yes love that:)

I have not allocated a budget as what i would spend would very much depend on how much I wanted something or felt it right. What I do know is that I don't want to spend thousands of pounds on one piece of furniture, hence finding the Dunelm Mill furniture at a very reasonable price. It looks very similar to pieces sold by Nine Schools but much cheaper.

if I did go down the route of recovering the sofas it would cost around £4,500, but if i didn't recover then I have that money to play with as well as a bit more I suppose.

I do love the chic modern hotel style but don't want it to look like somewhere you cannot sit down in. Whilst we do have a very neutral TV room my husband and i use this room nightly as we are on our own. Our son has long moved out and we are retired. hope this helps a little? Tracy

• Related Discussions

Any ideas for final touches to this living/dinning room?

Q

Comments (56)
    The trim in your rooms is outstanding. To "tie the rooms together", the one thing I would do is install chair rail the same color as the existing trim. The horizontal lines of chair rail will move the eye around the room and into the next room creating a flow. Chair rail is relatively inexpensive, easy to install and would be wonderful compliment to your existing beautiful trim.
    ...See More

Would love some ideas for my living room and kitchen area off these pl

Q

Comments (0)
    These are the plans for my house in Ireland I am looking for some ideas on living area open plan I would like to but double sided fire in as you will see on plans with high roofs in the living area, I am open to suggestions on the kitchen and the design help would be greatly appreciated
    ...See More

Any ideas for living room???

Q

Comments (16)
    The pictures you have above the sofa would serve you better if displayed in a hallway or foyer or even in a larger collection of photos in a family room. You definitely need more color in this room and a larger area rug. The sofa and wall colors look the same on my computer, so I suggest you paint the walls a color that will make the sofas stand out more. I also would suggest you find a much larger, print area rug that contains an accent color and center it in the room. Perhaps you could find a large, colorful picture to serve as wall art and also as the inspiration for the color scheme and especially for the accent color I suggested. In addition to the rug, you could use the accent color in throws and throw pillows to be placed on the sofas. I also would like to suggest that you add a wide piece of white-painted trim above the windows/patio doors (whatever) and attach the metal rod to this piece of trim. The trim will add emphasis to the glassed-in space as well as to the dark-colored rod and curtains.
    ...See More

Need help with TV placement and decor ideas for compact living room

Q

Comments (2)
    I think the only place you could put a tv is probably the corner by the window...over the fireplace is probably too high. a walnut floor and new fresher paint colour would be lovely, would you consider painting the skirting boards and fireplace white or off white to modernise them a bit? we've painted the skirting in our living room (also a walnut floor) and it looks so much better than before. (Have yet to get around to the rest of the house!!)
    ...See More
  • Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

It sound quite dramatic but I would seriously consider painting it a deep inky blue. The flooring is light, as are the sofas. It would help to disguise the TV and even make the dark furniture less noticeable. I'm pretty sure it could look stunning, what do you think @minnie101 ?

• Tracy Mccormack-gibbs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Colourhappy- it sounds like a good idea and agree it could look stunning, but i would never be so brave to do that. I like bright light airy spaces and whilst i might like it in someone else's house i don't think i could personally live with it??

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

Fair enough, you could be right. Here is an image of De Nimes though if you are tempted.

Tracy Mccormack-gibbs thanked Juliet Docherty
  • Tracy Mccormack-gibbs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thanks for the photo @Juliet Docherty. it looks like they may have just done a feature wall?i agree it looks nice but worry it would make the room look smaller? any other ideas welcome thank you

• Tracy Mccormack-gibbs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Carolina i don't know if you remember me? you helped update my lounge 4 years ago from the dark red colour scheme ( same gold sofas )): ) to this lighter brighter blue/ cream version which i have loved. It does however need something more either from furniture updating , pictures or ??? to be even better. Any ideas? i have listed in my post what must stay and what can go. Thanks Tracy

• minnie101
    3 years ago

I love colourhappy colour suggestion but understand if you don’t want to go dark. I’m not too sure on Dimity, I think you need some contrast? personally I’d wait until you’ve got the furniture and then get some testers. There looks to be a stone colour in the fabric so maybe something like that? I’d go for the matching tv unit as the glass unit sounds a bit modern.

Does the layout work for you? Maybe it’s the photos but the sofas look really far apart so not cosy for conversation? Would a sofa work where the chair is and have the chair to the left of the tv and pull the other sofa forward? I think a coffee table would work well and perhaps a rug too. I’d try and pull in some darker tones, so maybe a glass table with I think an antique bronze finish (can’t remember as I’m typing!) would work well and I think this one sits with most styles. I’d try the patterned cushions in front of the blue ones as the solid colour is quite a contrast. I’d probably introduce another pattern too, I think an ikat could work for a lampshade.

if you don’t like the furniture, do you think you will painted? Maybe a large plant would work where the clock is and break up some of the warm tones. I recently bought a large kentia palm from B&Q for £48, which was a bargain as larger than advertised!

• embzop
    3 years ago

It looks a lovely room to me and you have some beautiful furniture. However, the room is very mono-tonal (except for the blue cushions) everything is a variation of cream/gold. The blue cushions are a wonderful colour and provide some colourful contrast. Perhaps you could extend the blue theme by adding more, for example a rug, lampshades and recover the footstool. You might want to limit the introduction of patterns because the sofa and chairs have a distinctive stripe and the curtains look floral. It could be difficult to introduce a 3rd pattern.

• HU-502896296
    3 years ago

Thank you @embzop for all your ideas. There is a stone colour in the fabric which if I decided to recover the sofas I would like to use so that in a couple of years time when I do change the curtains the room can easily go to beige/ grey/neutrals which would be my favourite choice . As the curtains are not very old and cost a lot of money they need to stay for now. I had considered blue shades for the lamps and a blue/ gold/ beige rug but was worried about making the room too blue for me and also making the room seem smaller? This is the best configuration for the furniture as I did have it how you suggested before. We normally ( before COVID-19) entertained a lot and this is a social layout as you can actually look at each other.

I agree a large oblong coffee table would look good in front of the largest sofa ( window end). I also think the large footstool would look good recovered the tv end and I get rid of the small footstool?

The cushions are the same fabric as the curtains and the blue velvet are at the front because they are a bit smaller. I was trying to move away from the all co ordinated look and thought of having blue linen ones edged in cream made? I have to decide about the furniture and if I try painting it or changing it altogether. Any more thoughts welcome thank you x

• Monica
    3 years ago

Hi Tracy, I have to say I love Colourhappy's idea of adding darker walls, I think you would end up loving the look as all your gorgeous furniture would pop off it and it would create much coziness that we so need in our climate. Everyone ( myself include) is scared of making our modest sized rooms feels any smaller and we have all heard about light makes it look bigger and dark makes it look smaller but no one ever talks about how YOU FEEL in a small light room versus a small room that has some colour in it. if you entered both rooms and sat and had a cup of tea in both I can almost guarantee that the room that left an impression on you would be the one with darker walls. The feeling of enveloping cosy especially at night time with low lights and flickering candles is more enjoyable than any light room. GO ON be brave, its only paint and if you really hate it it will take a weekend to put light again. You have good furniture already and I think a simple case of painting the walls will give you what you crave, before you go any spend more money on replacing furniture and re covering your sofa. Hope I am not coming across as too bossy <3

Tracy Mccormack-gibbs thanked Monica
  • Carolina
    3 years ago

Hi, it's good to know that you've loved your room transformation :-) Of course I remember you! And I see you have had some great suggestions here already! I have to agree that a darker colour would be gorgeous and make the room feel really luxurious and cosy at the same time.

De Nimes, as suggested is beautiful, but if you want to go more grey: how about a greyer blue like Little Greene Mid Lead for the TV wall and Mono for the other walls for example (depending on how the colours look in real life in your room). There are so many lovely shades of grey/blue available in paint.

I love the sideboard. They have a (long) media unit in the same colour. Would you not rather go for that than for a chrome/glass TV stand? Maybe to matchy? Not sure.

The colours below look great on my computer screen, but might look ugly on any other screen. My computer screen is not to be trusted :-)

Tracy Mccormack-gibbs thanked Carolina
  • Victoria
    3 years ago

I’d definitely go for the media cabinet recommended by Carolina, the glass/chrome one you have does jar with your existing furniture 😊

Tracy Mccormack-gibbs thanked Victoria
  • Sonia
    3 years ago

I cannot add much more to what has already been said, but I must say, much as I love Dunelm, I think some of their sofas let the side down. My brother has 2 from Dunelm and he’s always moaning about how uncomfortable they are. I’ve sat on some in-store and they are so uncomfortable. I know they’re cheap but quality? You get what you pay for. Your sofas look good quality so maybe recover them as you suggest? I know re-upholstering can cost as much as brand new.

Have you seen F&B Oval Room Blue? It’s a gorgeous muddy blue that will go rather nicely with the sofas and carpet. Just a suggestion. I agree that a chrome and glass tv unit doesn’t really fit in and it shows the dust........😊 This is Oval Room Blue.

Tracy Mccormack-gibbs thanked Sonia
  • Sonia
    3 years ago

I’d saved these pictures from another thread which I just love. The blue and the biscuit gold would look lovely in your room.

Tracy Mccormack-gibbs thanked Sonia
  • Carolina
    3 years ago

Those are lovely, Sonia

• Tracy Mccormack-gibbs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

wow thank you everyone( @Carolina, @Sonia, @minnie101@Juliet Docherty @embzop) for some great ideas- any more ideas keep them coming!

i will have a look at all the paint colours you have suggested for the wall/s but i know i could not live with it all painted a dark colour and i always think one feature wall is a bit outdated?

if I were paying out £4,500 to recover the sofas/ footstools it would only be to go stone/ linen/ neutral in colour.

I like the idea of the Tv on the Dunelm TV unit and maybe i could mount the TV on the wall above??

i like using the Dunelm sideboard ( currently out of stock :(( ) and maybe the console table as well?

I like the gold and glass table in front of the large sofa as well as the ikat style cushion and lampshades very much! Just need to source them all which is hard when there is not a lockdown on let alone when there is- so please let me know if you find any such items to buy online do let me know. @minnie101 i also very much like your striped lampshade, pictures and the rug, even though it is very traditional in style. do you know where either are from ? i would also like to look at a more modern option? i am not very pc literate on how to put Pictures on here but will research and find a rug idea if i can.

I love the idea of having different patterns that somehow go together and take me away from my once preferred Laura Ashley style of matchy matchy.

Not recovering the sofa saves a lot of money for now. Thank you all for your ideas and happy to have any more ideas or actual products to buy- keep them flowing. Tracy xx

• Tracy Mccormack-gibbs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

does anyone know how i save your photos into my Tracy's ideas folder or heart saves?

• minnie101
    3 years ago

Hi Tracy. Both of the lampshades are from Pooky and the art and table links are below.

I think the rug was a Louis De Poortere, they do a lot of modern versions of Persian rugs. I personally love the textured rugs in Sonias pics.

I think “feature” walls are good for hiding TVs but it’s not ideal being on the long wall.

I personally wouldn’t go for the console too, I think it’s nicer to have complementary furniture rather than all match it it’s obviously personal choice.

https://www.houseofisabella.co.uk/collections/coffee-tables/products/gallery-direct-rothbury-coffee-table-bronze-w1200-x-d650-x-h400mm-p13063

https://www.johnlewis.com/melissa-wang-sea-coral-study-framed-prints-set-of-4-47-x-37cm-blue-multi/p4779200?sku=238354630&s_ppc=2dx92700055674854332&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7rO93_-f7gIVBu3tCh3ITgAwEAYYASABEgKE3vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Tracy Mccormack-gibbs thanked minnie101
  • Sam Potter
    3 years ago

I agree with all of the advice above about introducing a bit more colour. Your gold/neutral furniture and carpets will look amazing with some stronger colours in lampshades, ottoman etc. My biggest recommendation would be to get a very large blue/gold Persian rug.

Tracy Mccormack-gibbs thanked Sam Potter
  • minnie101
    3 years ago

I don’t have any sophisticated colours like De Nimes or Oval Room Blue on my iPad but I tried this in case it wasn’t too dark (just to give an idea anyway)

• Tracy Mccormack-gibbs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@minnie101 thank you so much for taking the time to mock my lounge up in blue- I am so very grateful to you. I must admit i think it looks very nice but i just don't believe i could live with it. The lounge is not a light room to start with and i am not a good person to be with dark colours in such a bold statement. I am very keen to update and modernise the lounge but i feel this colour on the wall makes it look even more traditional and dated?? i am going to keep looking at these photos but my heart says no. If i had my way i would paint my whole house brilliant white and add colour with accessories. trying to modernise is very hard when you have to keep certain things in a room, rather than start from scratch. if i can i will try to add another photo of a lounge look i like.

the links have been so helpful and i am already looking into all the items. i see the coffee table is actually antique bronze- due you feel that colour would blend in better than a gold one?? i know that gold can be so very different. Thank you for your continued support x

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Okay, so light and more modern: I think it would be nice to keep some of the dark wood, but mix it with the painted sideboard and TV console and a glass/gold table to bring in some 'lightness'.

What do you think of this? Modern art will also make the room feel more up to date. Maybe you hate the one I picked, but there's so much choice out there... And you could do a gallery wall with some of the pieces you already have.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/712197824/abstract-painting-original-large-acrylic?ref=shop_home_active_88&pro=1&frs=1&variation0=1149165234

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/textiles-bedding/pdp/norden-home-hardy-blanketthrow-u001003885.html

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/furniture/pdp/canora-grey-loftus-side-table-u000204526.html

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/home-decor/pdp/fleur-de-lis-living-dewalt-cushion-cover-u000184912.html?piid=1600062925

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/home-decor/pdp/williston-forge-gautreaux-cushion-cover-u002097812.html?piid=1281923707

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Different art, this one is from Loaf

• minnie101
    3 years ago

I was just trying a darker colour, it’s not for everyone 😊

I love the loaf art Carolina added, they have a couple of nice pieces.

Just a thought but as you mentioned re-covering the large footstool, I’m wondering if it’s worth looking at a different armchair. I just liked the colour of this one hence adding It but there are some reasonably priced ones which may not actually cost a lost more than reupholstering?

I noticed the table was bronze when I added the link but it looks to work with the Dunelm furniture?

Tracy Mccormack-gibbs thanked minnie101
  • smac232
    3 years ago

Tracy. You’ve been getting a lot of good advice but I just thought I’d add a few thoughts.

When I look at your current set up I see a classic and oriental feeling. I think this is timeless and just needs a refresh. Your sofas are a classic design and I think that recovering them in a more neutral fabric would work. But I think your curtains are really fresh and modern and it would be good to really layer on lots of cushions to tie in with the design. See attached other fabrics from Villa Nova which complement but don’t match your existing design. Loads of these layered up on a neutral linens effect background would look great and could be changed over time.

For your walls, I actually don’t think dark blue is right. It’s very on trend right now and can look great in a smaller cosy room but your room is spacious and I’d personally keep that feeling of light. I know you don’t like wallpaper but a pale ivory type paper with a subtle colour or texture could look really elegant.

I actually like your mahogany style furniture. It’s the tv stand I’d change along with maybe freshening up your lampshades. Minnie’s choices look great. Alternatively, some blue and white China lamp bases would look wonderful and pick out the Asian themes in your furniture.

See photos attached and good luck

Tracy Mccormack-gibbs thanked smac232
  • Carolina
    3 years ago

I think that only recovering the armchair is a great idea!

• Tracy Mccormack-gibbs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

found this nice wall art. do you like this one from John Lewis?

• Tracy Mccormack-gibbs
    Original Author
    3 years ago

another find from Dunelm Mill. H 60cm, W 80 cm, D 4cm £25

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Art is very personal, so it's important that they make you smile. I like them both. That Dunelm one is super cheap! The size of the John Lewis one is great though.

• Carolina
    3 years ago

And the Dunelm one

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Just came across this photo. See how they've picked colours from the artwork?

Mediterranean Family Room · More Info

• steel3
    3 years ago

Hello, I love your curtains, and my suggestions to lighten up the room would be to try to find a similar shade of white to the curtain's background colour, because you seem keen on a white interior. I would also paint the dark wood sliding door frames and the curtain rail all in the same white so that when you look towards the conservatory it will flow nicely. I think the dark doors and curtain rail overwhelm the delicate print of the curtains, and don't match the rest of the woodwork in your room. Then maybe invest in recovering the sofas in a lovely bluey grey fabric (maybe even velvet?). The sandy coloured flooring will keep warmth in the room, in the same way that a wooden floor does, as well as the wooden furniture.

Tracy Mccormack-gibbs thanked steel3
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.