webuser_543287035

Laminate flooring in kitchen. Yay or nay?

HU-543287035
3 years ago

I'm looking for a material for my floor that I can carry throughout my open plan house. Wood is a no-no because of cost plus it's sensitivity to water. I'm not the biggest fan of hard tile under my feet.

So I'm left with laminate / vinyl. Please share views if it is hardy enough for a kitchen and also if it works ok with underfloor heating? Any other suggestions?

Comments (10)

• Karenza Roy
    3 years ago

Depends how contemporary you want to be. I'm not a professional so can't help with the under floor heating regarding the vinyl but vinyl definitely doesn't look too classy. why don't you like tiles? you can find waterproof finishes for wood flooring too btw

• User
    3 years ago

LVT usually works with under floor heating and is more water resistant than laminate. Laminate has to be well sealed or it will swell if it gets wet. I have used water resistant Quick Step laminate in my lounge, but I wouldn't use it in the kitchen. I have porcelain tiles in my kitchen. Perhaps you could consider wood effect tiles? I'm considering wood effect LVT for my hallway.

• Nicholas Scott
    3 years ago

Have a think about Amtico/Karndean or ceramic tiled

• Sonia
    3 years ago

My sister has wood effective porcelain tiles laid in a herringbone pattern, laid over under floor heating. It’s lovely and cosy in winter and cool in summer.

• 88wj88
    3 years ago

In my new house I wanted wood effect tiles, as they are good at transferring heat for underfloor heating and so easy to keep clean and they look just like a wood floor. This house is a newbuild, and I have been persuaded to have Amtico style LVT with a promise they will be just as good as tiles ( fingers crossed!)

• tamp75
    3 years ago

We have quick step water resistant click-fit laminate in our kitchen & laundry room it’s fine. We’ve had a flood over it in both rooms. We had to take up some of the laminate both times for it to dry out underneath but the laminate itself didn’t swell up at all & we were able to refit it without any problems. However, since we fitted it, LVT has come onto the market much more & if we were doing it again, if probably go for that as a warmer option.

• tranquila00
    2 years ago

@tamp75, hi, did you install your floor first - ie does kitchen sit on top of the floor? I am having a new kitchen and Pergo laminate floor - Pergo say to install kitchen first and lay floor around it, but I'm in Spain and both the flooring guy and kitchen company insist to lay floor first. I don't think I'll win the argument! Obsessing about whether or not the floor has room to 'move'. Perhaps I just need to trust the professionals! Glad to hear your floor survived a flood and that you like the flooring.

• PRO
    Kingfisher Designs
    2 years ago

Karndean is a good choice but it's expensive, Howdens do industrial grade vinyl floors comparable to Karndean in wood/stone effects but more economical on price. You'd need to find a tradesman to buy/fit it for you as its trade only but a local Howdens should be willing to put you in contact with one they can recommend.

• tamp75
    2 years ago

No, we installed the kitchen first then the floor with the laminate going under the plinths rather than being fitted up to them.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.