webuser_543287035

Laminate flooring in kitchen. Yay or nay?

HU-543287035
2 months ago

I'm looking for a material for my floor that I can carry throughout my open plan house. Wood is a no-no because of cost plus it's sensitivity to water. I'm not the biggest fan of hard tile under my feet.

So I'm left with laminate / vinyl. Please share views if it is hardy enough for a kitchen and also if it works ok with underfloor heating? Any other suggestions?

Comments (7)

• . .
    2 months ago

Depends how contemporary you want to be. I'm not a professional so can't help with the under floor heating regarding the vinyl but vinyl definitely doesn't look too classy. why don't you like tiles? you can find waterproof finishes for wood flooring too btw

• Sarah L
    2 months ago

LVT usually works with under floor heating and is more water resistant than laminate. Laminate has to be well sealed or it will swell if it gets wet. I have used water resistant Quick Step laminate in my lounge, but I wouldn't use it in the kitchen. I have porcelain tiles in my kitchen. Perhaps you could consider wood effect tiles? I'm considering wood effect LVT for my hallway.

• Nicholas Scott
    2 months ago

Have a think about Amtico/Karndean or ceramic tiled

• Sarah U-S
    2 months ago

Have to say, I was unsure about LVT - however my brother has just had Karndean oak herringbone flooring in his new kitchen and it looks incredible!! It would definitely be towards the top of my list if I was to re-do my kitchen.

• Sonia
    2 months ago

My sister has wood effective porcelain tiles laid in a herringbone pattern, laid over under floor heating. It’s lovely and cosy in winter and cool in summer.

• 88wj88
    last month

In my new house I wanted wood effect tiles, as they are good at transferring heat for underfloor heating and so easy to keep clean and they look just like a wood floor. This house is a newbuild, and I have been persuaded to have Amtico style LVT with a promise they will be just as good as tiles ( fingers crossed!)

• tamp75
    last month

We have quick step water resistant click-fit laminate in our kitchen & laundry room it’s fine. We’ve had a flood over it in both rooms. We had to take up some of the laminate both times for it to dry out underneath but the laminate itself didn’t swell up at all & we were able to refit it without any problems. However, since we fitted it, LVT has come onto the market much more & if we were doing it again, if probably go for that as a warmer option.

Ireland
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.