samisonline

Location of our Sky Lantern?

SAMI
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are having our new kitchen extension and wanting to add a sky lantern but we wouldn't want to cover the kitchen island being installed along with the kitchen. The island being 1000mm away from the kitchen units. We would ideally want to have a feature pendant lighting unit over the length of the island, so obviously wouldn't want any part of the sky lantern to be over the island.Because of the RSJ being located on the plans, our architect has advised the middle RSJ has to be 4m away from either end of the extension to support the roof.What recommendations do you suggest in the layout and sizing we should opt for??Any recommendations for sky lantern and Schuco bifold doors suppliers and fitters that cover Surrey area???

Comments (7)

• SAMI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• sarh123
    3 years ago

We had the same dilemma. We have the lantern directly over the island with a slim lighting track with pendant adapters to take the lights. Delighted with it.

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

Do you have to have a lantern? What about a flat roof light (or more than one)?

You might also consider if if would have more impact on the light in the house if it were positioned near the aperture to the former dining room

• SAMI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Sahra123 do you have any photos that you can share?

• SAMI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@User I have been told that a lantern would bring in more light that a flat roof.

I was thinking (from the plans) to have the lantern horizontally from the previous dining room.

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

I can’t find anything that would corroborate what you have been told about flat roof windows letting in a different amount of light from a lantern- it seem more likely that the size of aperture in the ceiling dictates how much light comes in and perhaps what you have been told it’s that lanterns allow larger apertures but as you know that causes problems with placing lights.

Consider more than one to allow a waterfall of light into specific areas.

Don’t forget that you can add an LED to the inside of the apertures in the ceiling as an alternative to ceiling spots.

• minnie101
    3 years ago

My brother has 2 lanterns with pendants in (this isn’t his as couldn’t find a pic). The 2nd is another option which would work well with a roof light but not sure what you’d call the lights 😂

However I think where Jonathan has placed the roof lights makes sense to me. I think roof lights (of the same size ) let in more light as you don't have the internal frame of the lantern?

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.