webuser_914918840

Rear extension in a narrow house - is a staircase move worth it?

LJ P
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have a house that is only about 4-5 metres across. It was a classic 2 up 2 down but I undertook a loft conversion on it to allow for a master ensuite bedroom and some accessible loft storage. It's come time to think about putting a rear extension on the property. Annoyingly it is a property with staircase down the middle and currently looks like this:

My best plan for redesign so far has been this, but it feels like there is something not quite right about it. Perhaps not giving much benefit or that something more could be achieved with a bit more budget.

The use of space/layout/etc has been very hard to figure out. I've been aiming to almost get an "ensuite" guest room out of the downstairs play room. Key criteria is to have the kitchen moved to the back with a bit of sitting room, a downstairs loo and just in general a bit more room. However, it keeps leading to thinking that staircase being moved would be useful.

Now, when doing the loft conversion, I knew this could be the case but didn't think I could perform a move due to restrictions of these pipes in the loft:

So I converted avoiding that line (here's the loft):

Current first floor looks like this:

My big question is who would be the best type of person to talk to or hire for this conversation? Everyone I've spoken to wants me to decide the layout, decision about stairs, etc etc. However, I'm more interested in a George Clarke/Kirstie Allsop type person that can given an idea of what is really the best way to go given the list of wishes. I really want someone to tell me here's the price of this list of options - no staircase move, move one staircase, move all the staircases and then I can actually decide. The budget is very flexible depending on result.

Comments (4)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.