stephen_geary81

Acrylic worktop cracking over Bosch dishwasher

Stephen Geary
3 years ago

Has anyone had any problem with Bosch dishwashers expanding in use and pushing the worktop up. Acrylic worktop is not liking it and has shown some cracking. I fitted the kitchen but not the worktop. Going back this afternoon to lower the dishwasher. I always thought they needed to be raised to meet the underside of the worktop.

Comments (13)

• Daisy England
    3 years ago

Yes you’re correct that the dishwasher should be raised to reach the underside of the worktop.

Was there an aluminium foil fitted on the underside of the worktop as a heat deflector? This would have been included within a fitters pack and should have been fitted to prevent such things happening.

• Stephen Geary
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The worktop is solid acrylic and has cracked at the back. It looks like the dishwasher has expanded and pushed the worktop up. It goes back down and there is a wiggle gap between it and the worktop. The heat deflector goes at the front so wouldn't make any difference. If my memory is right the Bosch one is a solid piece of metal not a sticky foil.
    Also the worktop is only 20mm thick, and in my view to thin. I did not fit the worktop.

• Daisy England
    3 years ago

Most acrylic worktops are only 20mm thick. On the other hand laminates are 30 or 40mm.

It‘s not too thin, it’s the normal standard thickness for such worktops.

I would ask the company who fit the worktop to take a look at it especially if it is under guarantee. Sometimes ‘Jack the Lad’ fits these worktops when in actual fact you should be certified to fit them. Ask to see their Certificate to see if they’ve completed the relevant training course.

• Stephen Geary
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The customer supplied the worktop fitter. I've only ever fitted 30mm acrylic.

• Daisy England
    3 years ago

I’m confused here. So you‘re a tradesman?

• Stephen Geary
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes I fitted the kitchen but not the worktops, the customer used a fitter recommend by benchmark. Further investigation it's not the dishwasher physically pushing up the worktop, but the heat does make the crack increase.
    I personally don't think 20mm worktop of any material is adequate enough.

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    3 years ago

Is it a crack or a joint thats starting to split and assuming its an integrated dishwasher, I wouldn't think its the dishwasher expanding as it wouldn't be that tight to the worktop especially if you fitted the fixing brackets to the top of the dishwasher, the front would then be the highest point of the dishwasher and tbh a lot of integrated dishwashers don't even have any casing on them anymore. If there is a joint where the crack is then the worktop installer should of supported the joint (so not running the joint over an appliance) and biscuited it, so your customer need to take it up with the worktop installer.

If heat from a dishwasher is making a worktop expand and contract and causing a worktop to start splitting then the worktop isn't fit for purpose and your customer needs to take it up with the worktop supplier as its not down to the kitchen installation.

You could suggest to your customer, depending on the size of the crack to try having the crack repaired and then have an upstand fitted, the upstand could be used to stop the worktop from flexing and cracking. Might work and with any advice, given in good faith.

I also wouldn't have 20mm worktop either, I've seen 20mm quartz crack between a tap and the wall and that was in a showroom so I'd never recommend it.

• Stephen Geary
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Photo by customer
    Lifestyle Kitchens. My customer is in communication with the worktop fitter. There is an upstand and its z crack not a joint that's over the dishwasher. The worktop goes into a window aperture. As the heat increases the crack increases and also has broken a joint 300mm to the left of the dishwasher. All I can say I'm glad I didn't fit the worktop.
    I've fitted 30mm without any problems. This fitter was recommended by benchmark.

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    3 years ago

As I understand it, the worktop has also been cut into the window reveal so I wonder if this is a stress fracture. If the fitter, when he shaped the worktop to fit into the window reveal, it was really tight and with no allowance for expansion then that could explain the cracking. The manufacturer might detail in their installation instructions if these worktops need an expansion gap if they are subject to heat causing it to expand and contract.

Looks a bit shabby around the upstand joint as well, is that coming apart or not very well filled.

TBH acrylic worktops aren't really something I like, sold one once and nothing but grief so its not something I'd recommend or sell again.

• Stephen Geary
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I was thinking the same, I didn't see it before the upstand was fitted. That's how he left the upstand. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

• Daisy England
    3 years ago

Just showed hubby as he fits these regularly. His words were he has never seen one go like it. Also said the upstands looks as though it is only siliconed on. To fit the upstand like that the fitter is no solid surface trained fitter. Not the best workmanship.

• Stephen Geary
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I totally agree, I'm a carpenter and used this stuff once and my joints were perfect. I'll let you all know the outcome, waiting for the fitter to go back to the customer. Thanks for all your input.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.