webuser_57939875731

Replacing central heating pre-reno

Susi Knightwell
3 years ago

We’ve moved into an old house, which we were planning on redoing the downstairs (and possibly upstairs) late summer ‘21. Our builder advised us to leave any and all other improvements till then either because he can do them as part of the same job or make sure they work with the new version of the house.

Unfortunately yesterday the radiator got a pinhole leak and flooded our downstairs, so with that radiator gone things have become a little more urgent. It now feels like every radiator is a silt filled ticking timebomb…

Our choices are:
Use the wood burning stove that’s getting installed next week for the majority of our heating (not sure if it’ll do much for the upstairs bedrooms yet...) plus oil heaters this winter = fuel costs
Consult with builder and action the central heating replacement, but I can’t help feel this will involve decorating/other works in Jan, which then will need to be done again in Sept... = labour costs (plus finding a plumber with availability is tricky at the moment)
Replace the one removed radiator and hope it doesn’t happen to any of the others. = low cost but may need redoing in sept

Anyone else been forced to make major house improvements shortly before renovation? Any advice?

Comment (1)

• Daisy England
    3 years ago

Tricky call. If it were me I would replace the one leaking radiator. You don’t know if the other radiators will leak. They may last for many years. Was it the actual radiator or the pipework?

I‘m with your builder on getting it all done at the same time.

As you say getting any tradesperson at the moment is a waiting game, so choose a plumber, get it sorted and perhaps ask him to glance over the other radiators while he’s there in case he spots something you’ve missed.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.