Is Pliolite pant supposed to craze as it dries?

HU-191656881
last modified: 2 months ago

Hi, I have just had my house coated with pliolote based paint by a contractor and the finish is all "crazed and very small cracks", they only left a couple of hours between coats in very cold weather at 6c and their supplier has sent me an email saying this is ok can anyone please advise as I don't think this is right.

Please help as they demanding payment and saying is supposed to do this.

• Jen

Bumping this question up, and hopefully you’ll get a response from somebody familiar with pliolite based paints.
    I have no experience with these particular products, but agree: this doesn’t look right to me either. I note that the datasheet for Johnstone’s pliolite-based trade masonry paint recommends 16-24 hours between coats.

HU-191656881 thanked Jen
  • minnie101

What make is it? Agree with Jen, the ones I looked at were a long recoat time.

The weather is fine, it can cope with - temperatures, that seems to be the selling point. The other thing is how was the existing surface prepared (and what was it?)

Paintforme

Hi HU-191656881,

Interesting issue.

Preparation is key. It looks like the elevation is covered with pebble-dash, a "dust and pollution collector', therefore it would be an advantage to run adequate cleaning before painting.

The previously applied paint could be a problem too - matt finish applied onto glossy surface would lead to mud cracking effect. It requires adequate primers before paint application.

Temperature is fine for this paint product.

Paint manufacturer normally recommends re-coat time within tin's label.

Thickness of each coat would play its role too, too much paint would lead to mud cracking effect. However, on pebbled surface it's almost impossible to apply an even coat.

Paint manufacturers rarely admit their fault.

In our opinion it's not ideal but acceptable.

If you employed reputable painting and decorating company, like Paintforme for example, the workmanship would be guaranteed for 6-12 months for most external projects and up to 24 months on interior jobs.

Keep an eye on it.

We hope you find it useful.

Kind Regards,

Paintforme