ashley_hopkin

Damp issues from outside wall and yellow insulation in cavity?

Ashley Hopkin
3 years ago

Hi we have had an issue with damp recently. We’ve been living in the property for 2 years, the house is 20 year old. The lounge has been recently plastered directly onto the exiting brick. The internal wall has become damp. The walls are filled with yellow roll wool insulation and on inspection this is soaking wet which I think is coming through to the internal walls. Is there any way of getting this out of the walls, I believe this isn’t there stuff that’s blown in but put in when the house was built on rolls? Is there any alternative way of protecting the walls to stop the water penetrating so bad? Kind regards, Ashley.

Comments (12)

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

Personally I think you need a professional to look at this. If water is getting in somewhere it needs to be stopped. Equally if your insulation is wet it won’t do it’s job and if your house is timber framed it doesn’t do to keep the timber frame wet for too long.

Any idea about the source of the water? You got any pipes, drains , a bathroom or washing machine nearby?

• Ashley Hopkin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi we are in Swansea South Wales? I haven’t had chance to ask as this is only a recent thing we’ve noticed. It only seem to be on this side of the house at the moment where the rain has been hitting this side of the house? We left it for a few weeks to be honest because we didn’t move in for a while but has been gone for over a year now? The rain has been bad though. The builder pulled some out for another section of the wall where we had the same issue, he said the rock wool was soaking wet. Yes we always get drainage issues around the gate and front and side of the house. There is hole in the mortar I’ve tried to patch most of them up but there’s quite a few I need to fill. That wall where the damp is has been filled so there aren’t many left that side?

Hi jonathan, it’s a brick house, I the water is from where the rain has been hitting great side of the house, soaking through and into the mode section cavity where the insulation is and soaking through to the internal wall? There no other sources of water only on the floor where the drainage isn’t the best?

• embzop
    3 years ago

I had a similar problem on the gable end of my 1970s house and as I mentioned on another thread, I painted it with 'Stormdry'. It is a substance painted on the brick which makes the brick waterproof but still breathable so the air can get through. It has worked well on my house.

On your house it would also be worth considering creating a drainage channel between the paving slabs and the house. If you look at other houses you'll notice the paving does not usually go right up to the house. Quite often there will be a small gap filled with gravel (or similar). Just enough to create some drainage.

• Ashley Hopkin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Brilliant thanks very much. Did you have to leave the insulation dry out first before painting it on? How did you got about painting the brick work? Isit clear? The slabs had already been laid when we got here but the drainage around the areas isn’t the best so I’m hoping to get that sorted aswell.

• embzop
    3 years ago

My house doesn't have any insulation in the cavity but you do have to wait until the bricks are completely dry before painting the Stormdry on it so I guess that would include the insulation drying out. A job for the summer perhaps. I used a brush to paint it on but I think you can also use a roller. When you paint it on it is a thin white colour and then when it is dry it is completely clear so you can't see it is there.

• Ashley Hopkin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks. Something I’ll definitely look into!

• Ashley Hopkin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’ve managed to dig a photo out of the insulation from when we opened up the wall earlier in the year. Anyone have any idea if this can be removed easily? Cheers Ash.

• Sonia
    3 years ago

I’m no expert but the area outside with the paving footpath looks rather flooded. Paving should never butt up against a house, but should have a drain channel which catches the rain and then disperses it down the drain. This is what I mean (below), had this laid when I had a new patio this summer, and it really captures the rainwater. It runs along the whole back of my terraced house. Another idea is gravel. I wonder if all that paving could be lifted and a nice thick layer of gravel laid instead. The water should disperse much quicker. It’s dead cheap too. Just an idea.

• Ashley Hopkin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Sonia. I am going to look into digging it away and replacing with chippings just to rule out the holding water.

• Daisy England
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

There’s something wrong here. It’s not the insulation. Leave that where it is. You need to focus on a different angle.

Is your damp course working efficiently? You need to get that checked out first. Also ensure there’s no water remaining outside to penetrate the brickwork.

If the brickwork is holding water then you need to paint the brickwork with Johnson’s Water Seal or the equivalent.

• Ashley Hopkin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks I’m not 100% on how to check that? Think I’ll have to get a guy out to check that with an inspection camera into the cavity? I’m 100% going to look into sealing the brick, is Johnson’s water seal the better stuff? Thanks Daisy

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.