mrpuddlebunny

Building over drain inspection point

mrpuddlebunny
3 years ago

Hello, would anyone be able to tell me whether it will be possible to get permission to move or build over these? We are hoping to connect an outbuilding to the main house and these are in between. We are in the process of buying the house and they have planning permission but it is my understanding that we will need a build-over agreement too? Thank you.

Comments (4)

• Daisy England
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Depends whether it’s a mains run servicing a row of houses or whether it’s your own mains.

If it’s your own you can have a double seal lid.

mrpuddlebunny thanked Daisy England
  • Alix W
    3 years ago

We got a build over agreement to build over a shared drain. It wasn’t difficult to get, although we had to pay a couple of hundred quid to do it. We had to add rodding points so we could still get access to the drain if needed. I wouldn’t let it put you off.

mrpuddlebunny thanked Alix W
  • PRO
    Room-by-Room (UK) Ltd
    3 years ago

Hi Mrpuddlebunny,

What we need to know is are the drains shared and used by other properties or just used by your property. If you are at the start of a run then this is considered as not shared.

The general rule is that you can not build over a manhole. Therefore, the manhole will need to be removed completely and new pipes fitted.

If the drain is shared then the water authority own the drains and a build over agreement will be required if you propose to build over or within 3m of them. Building work can not start without the build over agreement. If a manhole is to be removed a roding point must be provided outside the building which can rod in the direction of the flow. Water authorities have strict rules and regulations regarding the type of materials that they accept for drain repairs and alterations and this will be stated on the agreement.

If you are in any doubt about what can or should be done contact your local building control and arrange a meeting on site to discuss or contact the water authority to discuss.

mrpuddlebunny thanked Room-by-Room (UK) Ltd
  • mrpuddlebunny
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so very much everyone - most appreciated! I think it does serve the other houses in the terrace. Hopefully the water authority will sign off on a build over agreement. Thanks again.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.