ddo101

Rectifying Regrettable Choice of Bricks

ddo101
3 years ago

Hi. Looking for some advice. We had a new front garden wall built this summer and now regret the choice of bricks. We wanted reclaimed London stock and in retrospect, should have gone for mixed reds or mixed yellows, not mix of both! The colours are too intense and varied and just not giving the look we hoped for. They looked more consistent in the pallet but I think that's because they were dusty. We are wondering if a light lime wash or brick tint would help to level out and dull the colours as areas where there's natural efflorescence, we think looks better. Really appreciate any design thoughts or ideas on technical approach. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• E D
    3 years ago

Can you share photos that show more of the context of your house and street?

Will you add railings or similar?

• ddo101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No intention to add railings. The choice was tough in the first place as our side of the road of Edwardian semis was unfortunately rendered in years past and so now painted whereas the opposite side of the road is red brick front elevation. All of the houses though have lesser grade yellow stocks for side and back.

• Carolina
    3 years ago

I know this isn't what you asked for, but I really like the mixed bricks. Lovely house too.

• E D
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yes, lovely house, lovely street.

Quite like the bricks too. I suspect you were trying to mix the different colours in the area instead of picking one.

My feeling is you‘ll probably get used to the look and learn to like it, particularly when your greenery is establishing further. I wouldn’t mess with the brick

You could perhaps consider pier caps and coping stones on the top to make it look more finished and possibly paint those in the colour of your house.

• ddo101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the votes of confidence thus far. I have considered coping stones actually, but the top row of bricks would need to be removed and I fear I'd still not get over the colour. @E D, I think you're absolutely right about the root cause - indecision of red vs yellow. I also didn't have the most communicative nor design oriented landscaper and it all happened quicker than I would have liked, didn't get enough of a chance to really understand what the end result would look like.

• HU-290967725
    3 years ago

It looks absolutely stunning. I wouldnt change a thing.

• minnie101
    3 years ago

It looks a lovely house. Personally I would paint the fence (and maybe the gate ) in a dark colour to lose the wheelie bins. Or you could get a wheelie bin cover but I think the fence would look smarter in a dark colour and would work with the tiles

• Rowland
    3 years ago

time will heal the problem. if you wait by next year it will all tone done and look more harmonious. if you want to accelerate the weathering you could brush the lower sections with diluted yogurt

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.